Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mirko Viviani <mv...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/04 11:01:38 UTC

High cpu on Apache 2.2.3/Tomcat 5.5.20/APJ1.3 - Windows Server 2003 R2 SP1 SE

Hi,

We are using Tomcat 5.5.20 with Apache 2.2.3/ssl/svn and jdk 1.6.0-b105 on a
Windows Server 2003 R2/SP1 SE with 4 Xeon cores and 4GB ram.

I have configured apache with a virtual host and the ProxyPass directive to
redirect all the requests to the Tomcat instance, as in this example:

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.22:80 <http://192.168.1.22/>>
    ServerName test.ourdomain
    ServerAdmin mymail

    ErrorLog logs/test-error.log
    CustomLog logs/test-access.log common

    <Location />
       ProxyPass ajp://test.localhost:8009/
    </Location>
</VirtualHost>

The same binaries and configurations work like a charm on a Win 2000 Pro/SP4
single processor test machine, with the only difference that the virtual
host is bound to * instead to a real ip address.

On the Win2003 server, after the first requests, the tomcat5 process starts
eating 100% cpu on one core and saturate all the cpus after some requests.

After that the APJ13 link starts loosing bytes requiring a service restart.
An Apache restart releases the resources of the tomcat5 process.

Using a Redirect directive to the tomcat 8080 port instead of a ProxyPass
work correctly but it isn't the desired solution.

There are not antivirus or firewall/packet filter on the machines.

Any hints?
Thank you.

Mirko

Re: High cpu on Apache 2.2.3/Tomcat 5.5.20/APJ1.3 - Windows Server 2003 R2 SP1 SE

Posted by Mirko Viviani <mv...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/07, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com> wrote:

if you are already using mod_proxy, why use AJP, mod_proxy in
> particular, has a more solid implementation in HTTP than AJP

I wasn't aware of the problems of the AJP implementation.
With mod_proxy and without the html base tag it works.

Thank you!

Ciao

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
if you are already using mod_proxy, why use AJP, mod_proxy in
particular, has a more solid implementation in HTTP than AJP

Filip