Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org> on 1998/05/19 00:10:43 UTC

Win32 naming

Why are modules called things like

  apachemoduleauthanon.dll

and not something simpler like

  authanon.dll

??

	Brian

pure chewing satisfaction                                  brian@apache.org
                                                        brian@hyperreal.org

Re: Win32 naming

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.
At 07:34 PM 5/19/98 +0200, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>On Tue, 19 May 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>> Windows doesn't pay much attention to paths, only to DLL names (or at
>> least, that's how it was last time I checked), so the idea was to avoid
>> name clashes by using a probably unique name.
>
>Please, please, as we are already limited to W95 (and thus can rely on
>long filenames) having a product specific prefix is _really_ worth aiming
>at. I would even advocate putting a major version number in. It is so easy
>to get bitten by conflicts; at happens to me so often; in particular when
>you try to use DLLs as functionality plug ints.

So are you suggesting we have

  apache13moduleauthanon.dll

rather than

  apachemoduleauthanon.dll

?  Is it something that is necessary if the win32 installation script is
clear about separate file paths for major server revs?  Is "13" granular
enough, or do we need to have the MMN in there?

Eeek.

Re: Win32 naming

Posted by Randy Terbush <ra...@Covalent.NET>.
Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@jrc.it> writes:
> On Tue, 19 May 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > >
> > > Why are modules called things like
> > >   apachemoduleauthanon.dll
> > >
> > > and not something simpler like
> > >   authanon.dll
>
> > Windows doesn't pay much attention to paths, only to DLL names (or at
> > least, that's how it was last time I checked), so the idea was to avoid
> > name clashes by using a probably unique name.
>
> Please, please, as we are already limited to W95 (and thus can rely on
> long filenames) having a product specific prefix is _really_ worth aiming
> at. I would even advocate putting a major version number in. It is so easy
> to get bitten by conflicts; at happens to me so often; in particular when
> you try to use DLLs as functionality plug ints.
>
> Dw

I'd agree with this regardless of whether we can load from a path. MS
suffers from too much of this random behavior already.

Re: Win32 naming

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@jrc.it>.

Re: Win32 naming

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Why are modules called things like
>
>   apachemoduleauthanon.dll
>
> and not something simpler like
>
>   authanon.dll

Windows doesn't pay much attention to paths, only to DLL names (or at
least, that's how it was last time I checked), so the idea was to avoid
name clashes by using a probably unique name.

Cheers,

Ben.