Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu> on 2020/04/09 09:28:45 UTC

ZooKeeper 3.4 end of life

Hey folks,

The ZK team just announced that they're dropping 3.4 support as of the
1st of June, 2020.

What does this mean for those of us still on Solr < 8.2? From what I can
tell, ZooKeeper 3.5+ does not work with older Solr versions.

Has anyone managed to get a 3.5+ to work with Solr 7 at all?

Thanks,

 - Bram

Re: ZooKeeper 3.4 end of life

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I don’t think you’ll find an official EOL announcement. Here’s
a guide, but do note the phrase “on demand” for minor releases.

You should interpret “on demand” as when the developers feel
the issues in the current point-release code base are numerous
enough or critical enough to warrant the effort.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/Roadmap

Best,
Erick

Re: ZooKeeper 3.4 end of life

Re: ZooKeeper 3.4 end of life

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Ah, understood. It always looks better to be able to say
“I’ve tried it and this is what I found” than “Uh, I’ll have
to get back to you on that” ;)

I’ve occasionally been able to assuage clients like that
by pointing out that often, especially with Open Source,
announcing end of support is often more about relieving
the burden on programmers of maintaining multiple
versions than anything being horribly wrong.

Best,
Erick

Re: ZooKeeper 3.4 end of life

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
The problem with Solr related to use TLS with ZK is the following:
* 3.5.5 seem to only support tls certificate authentication together with TLS . Solr support es only digest and Kerberos authentication. However, I have to check in the ZK jiras if this has changed with higher ZK versions
* quorum tls will work but again only with tls authentication (not Kerberos etc). Again, one needs to check the ZK jiras which versions is affected and if this has been confirmed

If you don’t use TLS then zk in any version (potentially also ZK 3.6 - to be tested) should work. If you need TLS check if your authentication methods are supported.

Re: ZooKeeper 3.4 end of life

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Good to hear and thanks for reporting back.

The other thing ZK 3.5 allegedly makes easier is dynamically
reconfiguring the ensemble. Again, haven’t personally
tried it but I’d be cautious about that since Solr won’t be
using the 3.5 jars and just dropping the 3.5 jars in for
Solr to use would be totally uncharted territory.

Re: ZooKeeper 3.4 end of life

Posted by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu>.

Re: ZooKeeper 3.4 end of life

Posted by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu>.

Re: ZooKeeper 3.4 end of life

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
All it means is that there won’t be upgrades/improvements to
ZK, 3.4 will still run. So there’s no need to move to 3.5 independent
of upgrading Solr just because that version of ZK is unsupported
going forward.

I haven’t personally tried to run 3.5 against an earlier version, but
one thing you’ll probably want to do if you try it is whitelist
“ruok”, “mntr”, and “conf” in your Zookeeper config, see the
Zookeeper documentation. NOTE: that is only necessary if you
want to see the Zookeeper status in the admin UI, those
commands aren’t used by anything else in Solr.

The JIRA (SOLR-8346) contains a _ton_ of changes, but the mostly
fall in two categories: Using a file rather than strings in tests and
trying to handle the whitelist programmatically, neither of which
are relevant to just dropping a newer version of ZK in.

Again, though, there’s no reason to even try it unless you need
something in a more recent ZK.

Best,
Erick