Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Anjib Mulepati <an...@hotmail.com> on 2011/01/27 22:16:00 UTC

[S 1.3.8] Simple Struts Example

Hi All,

I am looking for the simple example of using beans and tag in Struts to
avoid using scriptlets. I am trying to get concept of using tag to
access result from back end using the beans.  It will be very helpful if
some one can provide me a link or example which I can look into.

Thanks
Anjib

RE: [S 1.3.8] Simple Struts Example

Posted by Doctor John Carter <do...@hotmail.com>.
http://www.mkyong.com/tutorials/struts-tutorials/

Posted by Anjib Mulepati <an...@hotmail.com>.
1. JSP Files
=========
a) Calling page
---------------------
<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-bean" prefix="bean" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-html" prefix="html" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-logic" prefix="logic" %>

<head>
<title><bean:message key="welcome.title"/></title>
</head>
<form  action="getValue.do" method="post">
<input type="submit" value="Get Value" />
</form>

b) Result Page
-------------------
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld"  prefix="bean" %>
<head>
<title>JSP Page</title>
</head>
<h1>result</h1>
<jsp:useBean id="exchangeBean" scope="session"
class="com.anjib.beans.DataBean" />
<jsp:getProperty name="exchangeBean" property="sampleProperty" />

2. Bean Class
===========

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Anjib Mulepati wrote:

> So what will be the solution to issue #3?

Put the bean into the session.

Dave

Re: [S 1.3.8] Simple Struts Example

Posted by Anjib Mulepati <an...@hotmail.com>.
1. " ..... when you try to display a bean property in your JSP you're not seeing the value you expect in the browser."
  Yes, I set the bean value in execute() method and I am trying to get that display in JSP result page.

2. "You also submit a form, and you might mean that the form isn't being handled in the way you ...."
My form have just have a single button which just trigger the action.

3. " .. but show nothing that actually puts a bean into the session. So far, your problem is there."
I also think that I am missing something to relate between bean in action and JSP page.

4. " ... is there a reason you're learning Struts 1?"
I am working ont his app developed in struts 1 so try to fix around. Soon I will be moving to Struts 2.

On 1/28/2011 9:59 AM, Dave Newton wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Anjib Mulepati wrote:
>> Can anyone help to get this simple program run?
> I suspect you mean "run correctly".
>
>> When I run this app I get null as result.
> When describing a problem it's helpful to be specific: while reading the
> code leads me to *believe* what you mean is that when you try to display a
> bean property in your JSP you're not seeing the value you expect in the
> browser.
>
> But I really have no idea if that assumption is correct. You also submit a
> form, and you might mean that the form isn't being handled in the way you
> expect (although you've done, or at least shown, nothing related to Struts 1
> form processing at all).
>
> So.
>
> You're attempting to display a bean value retrieved from the session, but
> show nothing that actually puts a bean into the session. So far, your
> problem is there.
>
> You'll be disappointed when you find out all you have to do to process forms
> in the normal Struts 1 way... is there a reason you're learning Struts 1?
> Most new development has moved on to more recent frameworks, with good
> reasons. I'm suspicious of companies doing new development in Struts 1.
>
> Dave
>

>> On 1/27/2011 4:37 PM, Anjib Mulepati wrote:
>>
>>> 1. JSP Files
>>> =========
>>> a) Calling page
>>> ---------------------
>>> <%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-bean" prefix="bean" %>
>>> <%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-html" prefix="html" %>
>>> <%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-logic" prefix="logic" %>

>>> <head>
>>> <title><bean:message key="welcome.title"/></title>
>>> </head>
>>> <form  action="getValue.do" method="post">
>>> <input type="submit" value="Get Value" />
>>> </form>
>>>
>>> b) Result Page
>>> -------------------
>>> <%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld"  prefix="bean" %>
>>> <head>
>>> <title>JSP Page</title>
>>> </head>
>>> <h1>result</h1>
>>> <jsp:useBean id="exchangeBean" scope="session"
>>> class="com.anjib.beans.DataBean" />
>>> <jsp:getProperty name="exchangeBean" property="sampleProperty" />

>>> 2. Bean Class
>>> ===========
>>> package com.anjib.beans;
>>>
>>> import java.io.Serializable;
>>>
>>> public class DataBean implements Serializable {
>>>
>>>     private String sampleProperty;
>>>
>>>     public DataBean() {
>>>
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public String getSampleProperty() {
>>>         return sampleProperty;
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public void setSampleProperty(String value) {
> [...]
>>> import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest;
>>> import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse;

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anjib Mulepati <an...@hotmail.com>.