Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by he...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de on 2012/07/04 01:33:25 UTC

NIF, NLP2RDF and Stanbol

Dear list,
this is an explorative email to find possible intersections and points
for collaboration. "explorative" because I would claim to have a rough
idea about what Stanbol is, but I don't know enough yet to wrap my
head around it completely and pinpoint the overlaps.
This is why I will try to give a brief outline of what we have been
working on at the LOD2 EU project, which direction it is going and
what my initial ideas are. Feedback is very welcome. I am not being a
Stanbol expert yet, so I might be off the path ;)

Last year, we have been working on the NLP Interchange Format (NIF).
NIF is an RDF/OWL-based format that aims to achieve interoperability
between Natural Language Processing (NLP) tools, language resources
and annotations.

What NIF currently is:
1. In Sept. 2011, we published the specification 1.0:
http://nlp2rdf.org/nif-1-0 . There are about 8-12 implementations (see
demo at 5.) out there, we know of.
2. One of the latest draft papers about it can be found here:
http://svn.aksw.org/papers/2012/WWW_NIF/public/string_ontology.pdf
3. Basic idea is to use # fragments to give URIs to Strings, e.g.:
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html#offset_717_729
represents the first occurence of "Semantic Web" in
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
Of course, you can then use this URI as subject and add any annotation
you want.
e.g.:
:offset_717_729 its:mentions dbpedia:Semantic_Web .
4. There is a Web annotator making use of the Hash URI scheme or NIF:
http://pcai042.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~swp12-9/vorprojekt/index.php?annotation_request=http%3A//www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html%23frag_65b9eea6e1cc6bb9f0cd2a47751a186f
5. There is a demonstrator (will be much nicer in a couple of days):
http://nlp2rdf.lod2.eu/demo.php
with eye candy, but minor bug: http://nlp2rdf.lod2.eu/demo_new.php
6. Apart from that NIF also tries to find best practices for
annotation. E.g. OLiA idenitifers for Part of Speech tags
http://www.sfb632.uni-potsdam.de/~chiarcos/ontologies.xml or NERD or
the lemon model.

What is planned for NIF:
a) A new spec NIF 2.0 within this year. Discussion will be on this
mailing list:
NIF will be simplified (simpler URI Schemes and annotations),
consolidated (Better implementations) and extended (ability to express
confidence value and string sets, etc. )
b) We plan to have implementations for NERD http://nerd.eurecom.fr ,
DBpedia Spotlight, Zemanta.com and DKPro
http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/research/current-projects/dkpro/
c) Inclusion of XPointer as NIF URI Scheme and creation of a mapping
to "string uris". This should somehow be compatible with the
Internationalisation Tag Set (ITS) 2.0 http://www.w3.org/TR/its20/ ,
but we are still working together on a bidirectional bridge. There
have been a plethora of discussion partly at this thread:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2012Jun/0101.html
d) NIF should be compatible with PROV-AQ: Provenance Access and Query
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-prov-aq-20120619/

What I am hoping for or my ideas about how Stanbol and NIF overlap:
I) Reading your docu, you guys seem to be able to provide very good
use cases and feedback for NIF 2.0 . We would really like to include
that and also tailor NIF 2.0 to your needs. We are currently setting
up a Wiki - still ugly sorry: http://wiki.nlp2rdf.org/ Please mail me
for accounts.
II) I would assume, that you need some OWL model for all the enhancer
output. NIF standardizes NLP tool output and it tries to be blank-node
free and lightweight, but still as expressive as possible. So for you
this would mean that you could really save time, as ontology modelling
is really tedious. By reusing NIF you would get a free data model and
spec and you could focus on the implementation of the Stanbol engine.
I got a 404 on
http://incubator.apache.org/enhancer/enhancementstructure.html
I read "fise" somewhere. What is it? How does it compare to NIF? What
URIs do you use? How many triples do you have per annotation?
III) With NIF we focused on the RDF output for tools, not on the
workflow. Stanbol seems to focus on the workflow as well, right? It
might be easy to implement a NIF engine with Stanbol. This could be a
good showcase for NIF and Stanbol. With a Debian package, we could
include Stanbol into the LOD2 Stack http://stack.lod2.eu/

Sorry for the long email, please give some feedback about your ideas.
I am also willing to answer questions and provide examples.
All the best,
Sebastian

--
Dipl. Inf. Sebastian Hellmann
Events: http://wole2012.eurecom.fr (*Deadline: July 31st 2012*)

Re: NIF, NLP2RDF and Stanbol

Posted by Sebastian Hellmann <he...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>.
Am 25.07.2012 11:31, schrieb Rupert Westenthaler:
> The Ontologies used by the Stanbol Enhancer can be found at
>
>      http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/trunk/enhancer/generic/servicesapi/src/main/resources/
>

> To get the Turtle for the example used in the picture you can use
>
>    curl -X POST -H "Accept: text/turtle" -H "Content-type: text/plain" \
>         --data "Apache Stanbol can detect famous entities such as \
>             Paris or Bob Marley" http://dev.iks-project.eu:8081/enhancer
Thanks Rupert, that was exactly, what I was looking for. Note that I
also tried:

curl http://fise.iks-project.eu/ontology/TextAnnotation
curl http://fise.iks-project.eu/ontology

without success.
Maybe a <html><body>Ontology is still under development find the latest
version here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/trunk/enhancer/generic/servicesapi/src/main/resources/

Thanks again, I will have a look at the RDF files.
Sebastian

--
   * http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode (Leipzig, Sept. 23-24-25, 2012)

Re: NIF, NLP2RDF and Stanbol

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

to avoid even longer mails let me just answer this specific aspect

Re: NIF, NLP2RDF and Stanbol

Posted by Sebastian Hellmann <he...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>.
Hi Rupert,
see my comments inline

Am 25.07.2012 10:00, schrieb Rupert Westenthaler:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> ## Points of Interest (for Stanbol Developers/Users)
>
> 1. NIF URI scheme: Basically encoding information of
> fise:TextAnnotation within the URI (see [1] for details). Two variants
>      * "{content-item-uri}#offset_{startindex}_{endindex}_{max-20chars-of-selected-text}"
>      * "{content-item-uri}#hash_{context-length}_{length-selected}_{context-md5}_{max-20chars-of-selected-text}"
>
>      This could be relatively easy implemented by adding support for
> those URIs to the EnhancementEngineHelper#createTextAnnotation(..)
> methods. Note that this would require an API change because
> EnhancementEngines would need to parse selected-text, context and
> offset values to correctly calculate the NIF compliant URI
I can only assume that FISE and NIF play along well. I would need to see
some turtle or owl axioms, not just fancy images.
> 2. Ontologies of Linguistic Annotations (OLiA) provides URIs for
> things like "olia:Noun", "olia:Verb". It might also be useful to
> express Lemmas and other features (e.g. as provided by the CELI
> engines). However this ontology is also quite big and therefore hard
> to grasp.
>
>      If this could be used to determine if a POS (Part of Speech) tag
> provided by some NLP tool for some language corresponds to a "Noun",
> "Verb" ... it could be really  useful. Currently the
> KeywordLinkingEngine manages those information as part of its
> configuration. But as I mentioned above - I do not unstained OLiA good
> enough the be sure if such a thing is possible/feasible.
This is exactly what OLiA is for. Via reasoning you can conlude that
these three tags from different sets
http://purl.org/olia/stts.owl#ADJA
http://purl.org/olia/brown.owl#JJ#
http://purl.org/olia/susa.owl#JBy
are all of type
http://purl.org/olia/olia.owl#Adjective
Note that we are currently migrating servers.
So you can look at the the ontologies here http://nlp2rdf.lod2.eu/olia/

> 3. NIF and Open Annotation Core Data Model (OA) [2] (related to
> STANBOL-351): There was recently the suggestion to adopt OA for Apache
> Stanbol and NIF seams to have quite an overlap with OA. Some more
> information about that would clearly help.
Yes, there is some overlap. OpenAnnotation is much more elaborate in a
good and a bad way. So for one NIF triple they add a lot of overhead:
http://www.w3.org/community/openannotation/wiki/TextCommentOnWebPage
I really wonder how they are planning to generate all these UUID's and
whether this approach is feasible for NLP.
I am not sure, whether it will get adopted so well. NIF 2.0 will be
compatible with http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-aq/ and there will be a
transformation also to OpenAnnotation

> Finally I would really like if some one could actually translate the
> FISE annotations depicted in [3] to NIF. I think this would make it
> much easier for members of the Stanbol Community to grasp NIF.
> Including information like
I really would like to see some turtle or OWL from your side. I could
not find *anything* . I feel unable to translate an image such as [3] to
NIF. We should really have a telco, as we are having a deadlock. I wrote
my initial email in the first place, because I could not find proper
documentation on your pages. I see that somebody answered on the google
doc, where i put some questions:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15lNMJ3owfKmJX-DuHDJVn4t3aRgYcw-DxKZs2-aXtwU/edit

I asked for an example of FISE there and the answer was: Every result of
an enhancement request , which is not helpflul. I would really need to
see some more details and ideally talk to somebody. My Skype account is
"sebastian.hellmann"

I am updating the NLP2RDF wiki during the next weeks.
All the best,
Sebastian

Fwd: NIF, NLP2RDF and Stanbol

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

forgot to include the stanbol-dev list in my replay ...

best
Rupert

I finally found the time to read through most of the resources
referenced in your original mail and I think I have now a much better
understanding about nlp2rdf.

Re: NIF, NLP2RDF and Stanbol

Posted by Sebastian Hellmann <he...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>.
Hi Rupert,
<http://pcai042.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/%7Eswp12-9/vorprojekt/index.php?annotation_request=http%3A//incubator.apache.org/stanbol/docs/trunk/enhancementusage.html%23frag_f0935e4cd5920aa6c7c996a5ee53a70f>

Re: NIF, NLP2RDF and Stanbol

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastian, all