Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by VS Venkataragavan <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/23 22:51:51 UTC

Apache/Tomcat - Connection Pool Allocation

Hi,

We are facing this problem in Production. The problem is open for almost a month. Please find below the description:-

Environment : - JDK 1.3.1_04, Oracle 9.2.0.4, Tomcat 4.1.27/Apache 1.3 in Solaris.

We were earlier using classes111.jar. We noticed that there was a bug regarding number of attempts (i.e.) Even after only one unsuccessful attempt, the account gets locked out. Hence we have used classes12.jar (suited for all operating systems using JDK 1.3).

We have made following changes in /local/apps/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27/bin.

startup.sh -

PATH=/local/apps/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27/webapps/classes12.jar:$PATH export PATH

setclasspath.sh -

CLASSPATH="$JAVA_HOME"/lib/tools.jar

Even after this change, the account gets locked out after only one unsuccessful attempt. So we concluded that the classes12.jar is not getting effectively accessed. Hence we attempted introducing the classes12.jar in the classpath. The changes were:-

startup.sh - (File was not modified)

PATH=/local/apps/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27/webapps/classes12.jar:$PATH export PATH

setclasspath.sh - (classes12.jar appended to CLASSPATH)

CLASSPATH="$JAVA_HOME"/lib/tools.jar:/local/apps/ej/jdbc/classes12.jar

Now, the web page throws an exception on submitting authentication. It's not able to get ORACLE connection pool objects.

at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)

at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code)

at java.lang.Throwable.(Compiled Code)

at java.lang.Exception.(Compiled Code)

at javax.servlet.ServletException.(ServletException.java:132)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:256)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)

. . .

root cause

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/naming/Referenceable

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Compiled Code)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Compiled Code)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Compiled Code)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Compiled Code)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$1(Compiled Code)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Compiled Code)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Compiled Code)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Compiled Code)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)

at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)

at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Compiled Code)

at DbConnection.getConnection(DbConnection.java:80)

at PageController.service(PageController.java:54)

at org.

The catalina.out Log file of the Apache/Tomcat comes up with the following log:

Connection is successfully established //Message in the program

[INFO] JkCoyoteHandler - -RESET //Failure to get connection objects

INSIDE SERVICE : //Message in the program

INSIDE SERVICE :

Before this implementation, this used to give the following messages (i.e.) when it was successful.

Connection is successfully established //Message in the program

Active size when conn freed 0 //Successfully assigning connection objects

Cached size when conn freed 10 //Successfully assigning connection objects

INSIDE SERVICE : //Message in the program

The problem is that the connection pool objects don't get assigned. The only change we made was to the classpath.sh to introduce classes12.jar to the CLASSPATH variable.

Can someone help us out?  We are really desparate to close this problem.

Regards,

Venkat.