Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Reagan Penner <Re...@pmc-sierra.com> on 2006/09/19 17:10:20 UTC

How does svn copy work?

Hello,

I have a few questions about svn copy in particular I am concerned about created tags underneath a tags/ directory.

I have implemented a hook that will not allow you to perform any "U" type modifications on any paths that contain */tags/*. This prevents users from checking into an existing tags directory.

However, I have noticed that if you issue the same svn copy command over and over it will succeed and bump the revision number. So I am curious as to how svn copy behaves? Is there a way that I can limit svn copy to only directories under /tags/ that do not already exist we don't want people to be able to copy over top of an already existing tag!

Thanks - reagan

Reagan Penner
Software & Solutions Group
PMC-Sierra, Inc.
The Concourse Building #227 - 116 Research Drive
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada S7N3R3
Tel  +1-306-651-4910
Fax + 1-306-651-4749

Re: How does svn copy work?

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:10 AM -0700 Reagan Penner
<Re...@pmc-sierra.com> wrote:

> I have implemented a hook that will not allow you to perform any "U" type
> modifications on any paths that contain */tags/*. This prevents users
> from checking into an existing tags directory.

Can you post the relevant code from your pre-commit script? This sounds
like a good thing that would be general use.