Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org> on 2014/04/22 02:27:32 UTC

[DISCUSS] shepherding contributors

As part of our first IRC meeting one of the topics that came up was
shepherding contributors that have shown interest and how we can help and
encourage them into committer roles and grow the community.

Opening this discussion thread so we can flush out any ideas not brought up
during the meeting

-Jake

Re: [DISCUSS] shepherding contributors

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 22, 2014, at 3:46 PM, Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you look at many of existing ASF projects, including the big ones,
> not many of them have "shepherds".
>
> When someone has question then sending email to dev@ list is the way
> to go and the community should be able to help.

I agree with Henry, dev@ is the de-facto "tier-one".

Helping a new contributor become a committer (aka mentoring,shepherding) happens through the review process, email discussions, IRC discussions, jira exchanges.

Actually even non-committers can be "shepherds", because it's not always about code. Remember Apache Way motto is "community over code".

When you have questions, the community will help. So my views of your question is "if you have questions, dev@ is here to help", from there anyone can pick it up.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.