Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "G. Walsh" <gw...@dscdirectionalservices.com> on 2004/06/17 00:00:36 UTC

[users@httpd] completing virtualhost setup

Afternoon!

I have a single external IP on the internet, pointed to by 4 registered
URLs: dscdirectionalservices.com, xpotentialresearch.com,
cruiseroutes.com and trackroutes.com.

The system is running Mandrake 10.1, Apache2.0.49, Bind 9.30-1.beta2 and
Sendmail 8.12.11-1. The firewall is Shorewall with the usual ports 53,
80, and 443 accepting internet traffic.

Running host -la against each of the 4 sites shows the correct IN A
record for each host's 'www' - respectively 192.168.0.3, 192.168.1.3,
192.168.2.3 and 192.168.3.3. All home pages are correctly resolved and
displayed locally.

In Apache, each site has been granted permissions at the directory
level, for example:

<Directory /var/www/dsc>
  Options -All  -Multiviews
  AllowOverride None
  <IfModule mod_access.c>
    Order deny,allow
    allow from all
  </IfModule>
</Directory>

.... and the virtual hosting would, for the same site, appear as:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.3
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.3>
ServerName www.dscdirectionalservices.com
ServerPath /home/dsc
DocumentRoot /var/www/dsc
Setenv VLOG /var/log/dsc/logs
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/dsc/cgi-bin/
RewriteEngine on
RewriteOptions inherit
</VirtualHost>

Okay, first I attempted to use masquerading in shorewall, but that
simply pushed all traffic to the first host regardless of the host name.

Next, within the virtualhost wrapper, I tried to invoke the use of a
reverse proxy by adding the lines:

ProxyPass /var/www/dsc/ http://www.dscdirectionalservices.com/
ProxyPassReverse /var/www/dsc/ http://www.dscdirectionalservices.com/

That results in internet traffic being refused.

Now I want to see whether mod_rewrite can put me out of my misery, but I
cannot understand how to redirect an external URL to an internal file
path, in this case, from www.dscdirectionalservices.com to /var/www/dsc.

I don't really have a grasp on why this action is required, although I
have spent tens of hours reading and reading, only to become more and
more confused.

I'd really appreciate a light in the darkness .....

"George"

--
G. Walsh,
DSC Directional Services Corp.,