Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/09 01:00:52 UTC

[Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

The Abdera team is ready to release version v0.2.2.  This is a bug fix
release that addresses a number of critical issues.  There are no new
features.  We would appreciate if folks could take a look and weigh in.

// JDK 1.5
http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.zip
http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.zip.md5

// JDK 1.4.2
http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.jdk142.zip
http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.jdk142.zip.md5

// Source
http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.src.zip
http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.src.zip.md5

- James

Re: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Ok, not a problem. I'll add that in.

- James

Re: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
I've added a short change list to the README included in the
distribution. Nothing detailed but enough to hit the high points.

- James

Re: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 2/9/07, James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Abdera team is ready to release version v0.2.2.  This is a bug fix
> release that addresses a number of critical issues.  There are no new
> features.  We would appreciate if folks could take a look and weigh in.
>
> // JDK 1.5
> http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.zip
> http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.zip.md5
>
> // JDK 1.4.2
> http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.jdk142.zip
> http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.jdk142.zip.md5
>
> // Source
> http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.src.zip
> http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell/abdera.0.2.2-incubating.src.zip.md5

+1

comments and suggestions

Re: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 19, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> On 2/19/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>> Garrett Rooney wrote:

>> to crypto.
>>
>> > We need to file a export notification for use of crypto code
>> (not our
>> > code, third party, bouncy castle, I believe) in one of the abdera
>> > modules.
>>
>> That's fine.  I suspected that it might be something like that.
>> HOWEVER,
>> those things need to be done before the release, not after it.  :-)
>
> Well, they have been done now, although I will point out the fact that
> we're being rather hypocritical about that particular requirement,
> considering that there are a number of other ASF projects who make use
> of crypto code but have not jumped through these particular hoops yet.

Then we need to get after those other projects before the Feds shut
ASF down. They don't kid around with this kind of stuff. Crypto are
still considered munitions IIRC.

Craig

> -garrett

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

RE: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:

> Noel J. Bergma wrote:
> > Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > > We need to file a export notification for use of crypto code (not our
> > > code, third party, bouncy castle, I believe) in one of the abdera
> > > modules.
> > That's fine.  I suspected that it might be something like that.
HOWEVER,
> > those things need to be done before the release, not after it.  :-)
> Well, they have been done now, although I will point out the fact that
> we're being rather hypocritical about that particular requirement,
> considering that there are a number of other ASF projects who make use
> of crypto code but have not jumped through these particular hoops yet.

Not hypocritical.  We have been somewhat lax in the past, mostly due to
projects not understanding their obligations.  Cliff is trying to get that
corrected.  You are correct that we are not giving Incubator projects the
same latitude to be sloppy.  I do not consider that a bad thing.

	--- Noel

Re: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: BouncyCastle IDEA patent

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Good to know.

- James

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
David Jencks wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding Bouncy Castle, IIRC they used to include the IDEA
>>> algorithm in their distribution and provided a one-off for Geronimo
>>> to use to bypass the patent issue.  Not sure if that is an issue or
>>> not for Tuscany but just a heads up.
>
> IIUC && RC the resolution to this is that we copied the
> non-patent-related bouncycastle code into the geronimo-util module
> because bouncycastle declined to produce an unencumbered release.  I'd
> suggest that if you don't need the patented code you use the
> geronimo-util jar instead.

Yep, that's my recollection as well.

> thanks
> david jencks

Bill

Bill

Re: BouncyCastle IDEA patent

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:56 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding Bouncy Castle, IIRC they used to include the IDEA
>>> algorithm in their distribution and provided a one-off for
>>> Geronimo to use to bypass the patent issue.  Not sure if that is
>>> an issue or not for Tuscany but just a heads up.
>
> IIUC && RC the resolution to this is that we copied the non-patent-
> related bouncycastle code into the geronimo-util module because
> bouncycastle declined to produce an unencumbered release.  I'd
> suggest that if you don't need the patented code you use the
> geronimo-util jar instead.

I would if we could but it is not our code that has the dependency
but the jxta code - they import bouncycastle directly :-(

--
Jeremy

Re: BouncyCastle IDEA patent

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: BouncyCastle export for Tuscany, was: [Vote] Abdera v0.2.2

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Feb 20, 2007, at 5:47 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>> I went through the process and attached is a patch for the site to
>> include Tuscany in the matrix.
>
>> AIUI though these should be applied/sent by a Officer
>> which I would assume in our case would the IPMC Chair.
>
> Since Roy actively has his hand in that space, I'll wait for some
> feedback
> before doing so.

After discussion on legal-discuss it does not look like we need an
export notification for this.

We are still working on resolving the IDEA patent issue.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Feb 19, 2007, at 11:28 PM, James M Snell wrote:

> All of the instructions can be found at [1]. Just step through that
> and
> it shouldn't take too long.
>
> As far as I understand, each project is responsible for it's own
> notifications.
>
> - James
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html

Thanks.

I went through the process and attached is a patch for the site to
include Tuscany in the matrix. I ran the XSL and the generated mail
looked OK. AIUI though these should be applied/sent by a Officer
which I would assume in our case would the IPMC Chair.

I couldn't find any indication on the JXTA site whether they have
filed an export notice for their dependency on Bouncy Castle - Meeraj
is going to ping their project list to find out.

Thanks
--
Jeremy

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site/trunk/xdocs/