Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Hussayn Dabbous <hu...@saxess.com> on 2008/09/12 16:49:46 UTC

Request for editor role in cocoon documentation

Hi;

i recently started with cocoon-2.2. I allready published a video screen
cast about "setup and first steps",
which you can see at http://blog.machinimatrix.org i plan to make more
of these tutorials, but ...

Now, while i am stumbling through the cocoon-2.2 documentation, i notice
many (out of date-) errors
and blank pages, where lack of documentation hearts a lot and distracts
first time users/developers.
Now i slowly get pieces of the puzzle together with some help of members
of the user/developer
comunities, and carefully reading through tons of emails and history (
quite time consuming stuff).

Right now i am willing to add some enhancements to the docs, hoping to
help cocoon-2.2 to get away from
the "largly complex and only partialy documented genious work" more to
the "highly flexible and well
documented practically usefull development tool", which i still believe
it is... (You need to understand too many
basics before you can jump start, but if you get a good documentation at
your side, you will master the beast
in much less time. and that's what counts (for me at least).

In that sense i would like to add some more "basic tutorials" to the page:

http://cocoon.apache.org/1370_1_1.html

Currently i am working on something i call " 'Hello-flow, your first
flowscript"

And of course i would love to see our current machinimatrix screen cast
(and follow ups)
also published on the cocoon screeen casts page (if that is not too much
to ask for)

to my person:

i am 48 years old, german resident (my name is missleading ;-) ), and a
long term developer
(doing software since over 30 years now, working with java since 8 years).
I am running my own company "Saxess software design GmbH" in
Cologne/Germany since 9 years now.
I have already been involved with cocoon 2.0 several years ago and i
also did some (although not very much)
documentation work at that time.

I also am one of the Scarab-developers and have been working actively
for about 2 years on that project, and
will get back to it by end of this year (due to another upcoming project
in my queue).
Finally i am adicted to the idea of using virtual environments for
commercial usage. One of my recent activities
was to setup a workflow for creating e-learning content based on
machinima technology,  and that's why the
cocoon tutorial which i mentioned above uses an avatar and an advanced
text to speach system ...

But now i want to use cocoon-2.2 (mainly because its spring based
implementation)
within at least 2 upcoming projects (one is allready running (out of
time, uhhhh...), the other one will start next year
and will be another  long term project)

So, if you would give me editor permissions, i could jump start and add
documentation as long as i my time allows it.

Hope to hear from you soon;

regards,
Hussayn Dabbous

Re: Request for editor role in cocoon documentation

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Hussayn Dabbous wrote:

> So, if you would give me editor permissions, i could jump start and add
> documentation as long as i my time allows it.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon;

Sorry that no-one has responded. I don't have the Daisy privs
to do that operation, so i hope that we can attract other
attention. Please don't think that you are being ignored.

-David

Re: Request for editor role in cocoon documentation

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> hussayn pisze:
> >
> > And what kind of "bigger pieces of work" are you referring to ?
> > I guess, you refer to the apache-license model ?
> > And How will i know, when i need to contact ASF ?
>
> The only thing you would need to do is to apply ICLA, see:
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
>
> You can easily send it to Apache using FAX machine.
>
> The only question remaining is when you really need to do it for which I don't have an answer. I
> have to learn about this things myself.
>
> I suggest to wait for David's response.

The general principle is that everything that you contribute
is already under the Apache License. So you can use those
contributions elsewhere too.

When people start doing major contributions, then it is
good to register a Contributor License Agreement.

This is clarification because the contributor gets to
understand their situation by reading the CLA and license.

Hussayn, there is no need to wait. Get stuck into making
docs edits.

At your leisure send in an Individual CLA:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
If there is anything that you want to talk
about in private, then use the Cocoon private@ list.

-David

Re: Request for editor role in cocoon documentation

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Request for editor role in cocoon documentation

Posted by hussayn <hu...@saxess.com>.
Hi, Grzegorz, Dave;

Thank you for granting edit-permissions. I will take the oportunity and jump
start
within this week ;-)

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Hussayn Dabbous pisze:
> Hi;
>
> i recently started with cocoon-2.2. I allready published a video screen
> cast about "setup and first steps",
> which you can see at http://blog.machinimatrix.org i plan to make more
> of these tutorials, but ...
>
> Now, while i am stumbling through the cocoon-2.2 documentation, i notice
> many (out of date-) errors
> and blank pages, where lack of documentation hearts a lot and distracts
> first time users/developers.
> Now i slowly get pieces of the puzzle together with some help of members
> of the user/developer
> comunities, and carefully reading through tons of emails and history (
> quite time consuming stuff).

Reading mail archives - it looks like everyone starts the adventure with Cocoo the same way. :-)

> Right now i am willing to add some enhancements to the docs, hoping to
> help cocoon-2.2 to get away from
> the "largly complex and only partialy documented genious work" more to
> the "highly flexible and well
> documented practically usefull development tool", which i still believe
> it is... (You need to understand too many
> basics before you can jump start, but if you get a good documentation at
> your side, you will master the beast
> in much less time. and that's what counts (for me at least).

Yes, certainly Cocoon 2.2 deserves more up-to-date documentation and any contribution is very much
appreciated.

> In that sense i would like to add some more "basic tutorials" to the page:
>
> http://cocoon.apache.org/1370_1_1.html
>
> Currently i am working on something i call " 'Hello-flow, your first
> flowscript"
>
> And of course i would love to see our current machinimatrix screen cast
> (and follow ups)
> also published on the cocoon screeen casts page (if that is not too much
> to ask for)

When it comes to screencast it's totally fine but I fear that you will need to apply small paper to
ASF if you want to contribute bigger pieces of work.

I'm sure that David Crossley will instruct you once this will be necessary.

> to my person:
>
> i am 48 years old, german resident (my name is missleading ;-) ), and a
> long term developer
> (doing software since over 30 years now, working with java since 8 years).
> I am running my own company "Saxess software design GmbH" in
> Cologne/Germany since 9 years now.
> I have already been involved with cocoon 2.0 several years ago and i
> also did some (although not very much)
> documentation work at that time.
>
> I also am one of the Scarab-developers and have been working actively
> for about 2 years on that project, and
> will get back to it by end of this year (due to another upcoming project
> in my queue).
> Finally i am adicted to the idea of using virtual environments for
> commercial usage. One of my recent activities
> was to setup a workflow for creating e-learning content based on
> machinima technology,  and that's why the
> cocoon tutorial which i mentioned above uses an avatar and an advanced
> text to speach system ...
>
> But now i want to use cocoon-2.2 (mainly because its spring based
> implementation)
> within at least 2 upcoming projects (one is allready running (out of
> time, uhhhh...), the other one will start next year
> and will be another  long term project)
>
> So, if you would give me editor permissions, i could jump start and add
> documentation as long as i my time allows it.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon;

Thanks for your nice introduction Hussayn! It's always good to know the person you are giving some
permissions.

I've granted doc-editors role to you which means that you can edit any document in Daisy but you
cannot publish it. Publishing is job of committers so they have a chance to review your work.

Most of the time there are a few people checking Daisy's queue quite regularly.

I'm looking forward to your additions!

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski