Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Bill Arduino <ro...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/16 23:11:07 UTC

Not getting all documents

Hi all,

I have setup Nutch 1.1 and supplied it a list of URLs in urls/nutch flat
file.  Each line is a dir on the same server like so:
http://myserver.mydomain.com/docs/SC-09
http://myserver.mydomain.com/docs/SC-10

In each of these dirs are anywhere from 1 to 15,000 PDF files.  The index is
dynamically generated by apache for each dir.  In total there are 1.2
million PDF files I need to index.

Running the command:
bin/nutch crawl urls -dir crawl -depth 5 -topN 50000

seems to work and I get data that I can search, but I know I am not getting
all of the PDFs fetched or indexed.  If I do this:

grep pdf logs/hadoop.log | grep fetching | wc -l
12386

I know there are 276,867  PDFs in the URLs I provided in the nutch file, yet
it fetched only 12,386 of them.

I'm not sure on the -topN parameter, but it seems to run the same no matter
what I put in it.  I have these settings in my nutch-site.xml:

file.content.limit -1
http.content.limit -1
fetcher.threads.fetch 100
fetcher.threads.per.host 100

PDF parser is working.  I also have this in nutch-site:

<!-- plugin properties -->
<property>
<name>plugin.includes</name>
<value>protocol-http|urlfilter-regex|parse-html|index-(basic|anchor)|query-(basic|site|url)|response-(json|xml)|summary-basic|scoring-opic|urlnormalizer-(pass|regex|basic)|parse-pdf</value>

</property>

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Re: Not getting all documents

Posted by Bill Arduino <ro...@gmail.com>.
Yes I did.  Well, Jean-François sent me the answer:

*Hi,

You may want to look for the db.max.outlinks.per.page property in your
nutch-[default|site].xml configuration file. The default is 100 outlinks in
nutch 1.0. So, if your a index page contains more than 100 link to PDF file,
then only a maximum of 100 will be process for each index page.

Also, you may need to adjust the http.content.limit if your index pages are
bigger than 65535 (default value) otherwise nutch will trunc the content and
will not process links that are not in the first 65535 bytes.

I hope this will help

Jean-François Gingras*

I set db.max.outlinks to an appropriate number and all is well.

Posted by webdev1977 <we...@gmail.com>.
Good Morning..

Posted by Bill Arduino <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks again for your time Markus,

There were no timeouts, in fact the only thing other than regular fetching
info type messages were entries like these:

WARN  regex.RegexURLNormalizer - can't find rules for scope 'outlink', using
default
and
WARN  mapred.JobClient - Use GenericOptionsParser for parsing the arguments.
Applications should implement Tool for the same.

Both of which I have read are pretty harmless and can be safely ignored.

I supplied all 428 dirs in a new url/nutch and deleted the crawl dir,
increased the timeout value to 60000 and reran.  There were no errors.  The
stats are:

CrawlDb statistics start: crawl/crawldb/
Statistics for CrawlDb: crawl/crawldb/
TOTAL urls:    34176
retry 0:    34176
min score:    0.0
avg score:    0.012523408
max score:    1.0
status 1 (db_unfetched):    1
status 2 (db_fetched):    33747
status 5 (db_redir_perm):    428
CrawlDb statistics: done

There should easily be 1+ million files fetched.  Is there something obvious
that I am missing?  I have not that many changes in nutch-site:

<name>http.agent.name</name> = machine
<name>http.agent.url</name> = http://nutch.apache.org
<name>http.agent.email</name> = webamster@machine.mycompany.com
<name>http.timeout</name> = 60000
<name>http.content.limit</name> = -1
<name>http.verbose</name> = true
<name>file.content.limit</name> = -1
<name>http.agent.description</name> = Nutch
<name>fetcher.threads.fetch</name> = 100
<name>fetcher.threads.per.host</name> = 100
<name>plugin.includes</name> =
protocol-http|urlfilter-regex|parse-html|index-(basic|anchor)|query-(basic|site|url)|response-(json|xml)|summary-basic|scoring-opic|urlnormalizer-(pass|regex|basic)|parse-pdf

Does anyone see anything wrong with these values?

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@buyways.nl>.

Posted by Bill Arduino <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@buyways.nl>.

Posted by Bill Arduino <ro...@gmail.com>.