Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Sivananda Reddys Thummala Abbigari <st...@salesforce.com> on 2015/05/15 09:15:14 UTC

Limitation on number of topics with in an exchange

Hi,

Broker: Java
Topic: amq.topic
Exchange, subscriber, messages are all durable. HA with BDB, with 1 replica.

My use case need large number of short lived topics.  Each topics have 2
producers and 3 to 4 subscribers and a topic could live for an hour or so
at a maximum. Are there any limitations that could arise due to this for HA
perspective/in general(Can I have 50k concurrent topics with in a single
exchange?). Did any of you have done any tests related to this?.  Please
let me know.

Thank you,
Siva.

Re: Limitation on number of topics with in an exchange

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 15 May 2015 at 12:08, Sivananda Reddys Thummala Abbigari
<st...@salesforce.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> are you using pattern matching (%, #) in your topic bindings or are they
> all exact match?
> No, they are exact match, as suggested I will try amq.direct

You don't need to use amq.direct, you could create a new direct
exchange "mytopics" or whatever you want to call it...

> Are you using durable subscriptions?
> Yes, I am using durable subscriptions

OK - do the durable subscriptions come and go every hour, or is it a
fairly fixed number of subscriptions just with the clients coming and
going every hour or so?  Every time a subscription is created/deleted
then you are modifying the durable configuration which needs to be
replicated (and should be single threaded - though processing of
messages on other subscriptions on the same exchange is not affected).
I don't think that this will necessarily be a huge issue either way.

> Also, could you please confirm the following:
> When we sent a message using  MessageProducer
> <http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/1.4/api/javax/jms/MessageProducer.html>.send(message),
> the default delivery mode is "PERSISTENT"?

That is indeed the default as per the JMS requirement.

Hoe this helps,
Rob

Posted by Sivananda Reddys Thummala Abbigari <st...@salesforce.com>.
Hi Rob,