Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Suraj Khurana <su...@hotwaxsystems.com> on 2017/10/28 08:25:39 UTC

Re: All roleType entities should maintain lifespan

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your response.
In figure-4 he
<http://www.universaldatamodels.com/Portals/9/udm_Publication_Articles_11_05_Models_Patterns.pdf>
**re
<http://www.universaldatamodels.com/Portals/9/udm_Publication_Articles_11_05_Models_Patterns.pdf>,
it is specified that we do not need to manage partyRole entity as party
role is specific to something (like work effort) i.e. party does not have a
dependency on party role for the role in any entity.
IMO, we should have PartyRole entity so that it becomes easy to filter
parties in specific roles, but, on the other hand, we should not maintain
this FK relationship while adding records to other entities like OrderRole,
AdjustmentRole etc.

One use case could be like I mentioned earlier, it becomes easy to filter
parties in specific roles like suppliers, distributors etc.

--
Thanks and Regards
*Suraj Khurana* | Sr. Enterprise Software Engineer

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>
 wrote:

> Hi Suraj,
>
> I still haven't seen an example of a useful use case for adding
> from/thruDate fields to the PartyRole table.  Did you have anything in mind
> that it might help with?
>
> I'd honestly prefer to remove it rather than expand it.
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 29 September 2017 at 20:41, Suraj Khurana <suraj.khurana@hotwaxs
> ystems.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> There has been already a discussion under OFBIZ-5959
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5959> regarding this.
>> I would like to bring this point again into attention and would like to
>> suggest that we should introduce lifespan to all such entities.
>> Also, PartyRole FK constraint should be removed while adding a record of
>> that party in any other role entity, earlier it was also discussed that it
>> becomes cumbersome to manage that and there is not any specific need to
>> have that in real time as well.
>>
>> Let me know your thoughts on this.
>> --
>> Thanks and Regards
>> *Suraj Khurana* | Sr. Enterprise Software Engineer
>> *HotWax Commerce*  by  *HotWax Systems*
>> Plot no. 80, Scheme no. 78, Vijay Nagar, Indore, M.P. India 452010

*Suraj Khurana* | Sr. Enterprise Software Engineer
HotWax Commerce <http://www.hotwax.co/>  by  HotWax Systems
<http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/>
Plot no. 80, Scheme no. 78, Vijay Nagar, Indore, M.P. India 452010
Cell phone: +91 96697-50002
<https://about.me/surajkhurana?promo=email_sig>

HotWax Systems <http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/> recently received 8
mentions in *The Gartner Digital Commerce Vendor Guide, 2016 *by Gartner,
Inc., the world's leading IT research and advisory company.

[image: Inline image 1]

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Nothing was added for almost 2 weeks. So I think we reached a lazy consensus, let me summarise it here, as I see it:

 1. We don't want to add lifespan (add from/thruDate fields) to roleType entities; so OFBIZ-5959, its subtasks and related tasks should be closed as
    won't fix
 2. We want (continue and generalise) to use EntityNameRole to handle parties roles in specific contexts. This follows Len Silverston's "Flexible
    Contextual Role Pattern" as shown in figure 4 of https://s.apache.org/tE19 and explained there.
 3. We want to remove the FKs from EntityNameRole  entities to PartyRole; so ensurePartyRole service should be removed or used another way.

It was suggested that PartyRole could be used in specific contexts. Filtering in screens before creating a relationship between a party and another
Entity comes to mind (ie to create an EntityNameRole record). This is though still disputed because some would prefer to use only PartyRelationship
for that, see OFBIZ-5827 and OFBIZ-5832 for instance. The reason is PartyRole is not in relation with an organisation when PartyRelationship is. So we
still need to agree on this because it. Note that there are cases were PartyRole is still needed. Notably for PartyGoups like in
createAcctgTransAndEntries:

             <!-- the organization party must be an internal organization -->
             <entity-one entity-name="PartyRole" value-field="partyRole" use-cache="true" auto-field-map="false">
                 <field-map field-name="partyId" from-field="acctgTransEntry.organizationPartyId"/>
                 <field-map field-name="roleTypeId" value="INTERNAL_ORGANIZATIO"/>
             </entity-one>
             <if-empty field="partyRole">
                 <log level="warning" message="The party with id [${acctgTransEntry.organizationPartyId}] is not an internal organization; the
following accounting transaction will be ignored: ${acctgTransEntry}"/>
             <else>

About the point 2, I want to add that the alternative would be to use the data model proposed in Figure 9. But IMO it's better to decouple the 2
models (business and architecture data models) and only possibly use the specific one (business model) "on paper" to explain things to shareholders
and alike...

There is no hurry because I think we don't want to deliver this before freezing the next release (ie in about a month) and it's a big task. But we can
already work on it by creating Jira/s and providing patches for review.

Please check and let me know your thoughts if needed

Thanks

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@hotwaxsystems.com>.