Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Dayo Oliyide <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/12 16:18:09 UTC

Migrating Zookeeper cluster (3.4.6) to different machines

Hi,

I currently need to move a running Zookeeper cluster (3 nodes) to a
different group of machines.
Is this possible ?
Is there any advice or guide on how to do this ?

Thanks
--Dayo

Re: Migrating Zookeeper cluster (3.4.6) to different machines

Posted by ralph tice <ra...@gmail.com>.
We've always done a rolling restart of the cluster when we add new
nodes to make sure all ZK are talking to each other.  It's definitely
a great way to validate whether your ZK clients are correctly
configured for retries.

We don't ever try to replace machines with the same ID as a previous
node, as per earlier in the thread that's not a good idea unless the
IP stays the same and I don't think it's worth the effort of shrinking
your quorum and juggling IPs.

The docs for the new dynamic reconfiguration feature in 3.5+ has a
good summation of the historical context that applies to 3.4.6 re:
rolling restarts
http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperReconfig.html

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,