Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jeremy Bauer <te...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/10 21:12:55 UTC

Updating the JPA spec jar for JPA 2.0

OpenJPA & Geronimo devs,
Efforts are underway to begin JPA 2.0 enhancements in OpenJPA.  OpenJPA
builds with and bundles the Geronimo JPA 1.0 spec jar.  As we move forward
to JPA 2.0, OpenJPA will need to use/provide updated spec APIs.  Like EJB
3.1, JPA 2.0 is still in the review stages so there may be frequent updates
to the spec API until the final draft is published.   This leads to
questions of "who, how, and where" for updating the JPA spec APIs to JPA
2.0.

IMHO, it would be best if the spec jar resides in Geronimo. Ideally, the
Geronimo project will have a branch for JPA 2.0 spec development, with the
OpenJPA project providing the JPA 2.0 enhancements.  The concern with that
approach is that the OpenJPA committers cannot commit to the Geronimo
repository.  OpenJPA would need committers on the Geronimo project to do
code commits and builds of the spec jar.  This may become a burden on the
Geronimo project and may be a potential (albeit small) bottleneck for
OpenJPA development.   Another alternative is for the OpenJPA project to
temporarily update and maintain the 2.0 spec API (using the current Geronimo
spec API as a starting point) while JPA 2.0 is in flux.  Major revisions
and/or the final could then be provided to Geronimo to be published in the
Geronimo repository, with the end goal of OpenJPA (and others) using the
spec jar provided by Geronimo.

Thoughts/ideas/opinions?

-Jeremy (OpenJPA committer)

Re: Updating the JPA spec jar for JPA 2.0

Posted by Jeremias Maerki-2 <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
FYI, I ran into a problem today trying to use geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec-1.1.1.jar
in an OSGi context together with Spring ORM: The spec JAR exports the
javax.xml.persistence package as version 3.0 but Spring expects "[1.0.0,
2.0.0)". I guess I'll have to patch the spec JAR or use another one from
somewhere. IMO, exporting version 3.0 is incorrect.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Nov 10, 2008, at 7:42 PM, Michael Dick wrote:

> [...]
>>>>

>>> Assuming that the Geronimo PMC trusts the OpenJPA committers, one
>>> or three
>>> OpenJPA developers should be given commit access to the portion of
>>> the
>>> repository that contains the spec jar. With suitable tests to make
>>> sure that
>>> we don't break the Geronimo build, this should be straightforward.
>>>

>> Do you really expect more than 2 or three revisions before stability?
>> I'd suggest that we try working with patches until it turns into an
>> actual
>> problem.  This might be mildly inconvenient for whoever writes the
>> 2.0
>> classes but it might end up being quicker than trying to deal with
>> changing
>> svn permissions.  I have no particular objection to doing this
>> but.... I'm
>> happy to apply patches quickly but have no clue what to do about svn
>> permissions and worry it might involve policy changes, pmc
>> discussions, etc
>> etc.
>

> I agree. There may be a fair number of changes at the beginning but it
> *should* calm down when the spec finalizes (famous last words).
>
> When / if it becomes a problem (ie David is tired of us bothering
> him :-) )
> we can always fork a copy to the OpenJPA project with the intent of
> merging
> back when it's in less of a state of flux (or on a regular basis).
>

>> I've started off with
>>
>> svn cp
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jpa_2.0_spec
>>
>> and some changes to the pom so the results look like v.2.  I set
>> the maven
>> version to 1.0-EA-SNAPSHOT since most of the draft specs I've seen
>> require
>> that jars clearly indicate "early access" status (I didn't check
>> the jpa
>> spec specificially).
>>

>> This points out the possible problem that the jpa 1.0 spec appeared
>> to be
>> part of the ejb 3.0 spec so I gave it a spec version number of
>> 3.0.  Any
>> suggestions about what to do about this would be appreciated.
>>

> I think the ideal fix is to copy geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec to
> geronimo-jpa_1.0_spec and announce that we're going to remove
> geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec at some point in the future. There's some
> precedent
> for moving a maven artifact - moving ant:ant to org.apache.ant:ant
> comes to
> mind, so it might be permissable.
>
> I don't know if there's a good way to properly announce it to users
> (potentially a superset of say geronimo-users) ,  I suspect we can
> learn
> from what the ant team did and communicate the change in the same way.

There's some kind of relocation pom.... I don't know that it's ever
been used for anything other than changing maven 1 names to maven 2
names, like in the ant example you show.

Before doing this I'd like to have a plan for what to do in a couple
years when jpa 3.0 is proposed..... how will we avoid a collision?
the existing geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec-<version>.jar jars will still be
out there.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.
right.  When we do get to Jpa-3.0, we would just publish against a
version number that is late than what is currently there.. :)

And the reason you're seeing two directories for geronimo-spec is
probably because they changed the groupId of the artifacts.  For
whatever reason.

So you might see older artifacts since Maven Central Repository never
removes anything, ever.  So expecting this whenever I start using a
dependency I search for it in mvnrepository.com to see if it might exist
in different groupId/artifactIds.  So if it happens to show up more than
once, and I try to look for the one that looks to be actively maintained..

Posted by Jeremy Bauer <te...@gmail.com>.
Sounds great.  I'll open a JIRA. Thanks!
-Jeremy

Posted by Jeremy Bauer <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jeremy,

Posted by Jeremy Bauer <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Bauer <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Bauer <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Bauer <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
we have to use 2.0-EA-SNAPSHOT!

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
we have to use 2.0-EA-SNAPSHOT!

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Nov 11, 2008, at 10:07 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2008, at 2:28 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> --- David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> schrieb am Di, 11.11.2008:
>>> This points out the possible problem that the jpa 1.0 spec
>>> appeared to be part of the ejb 3.0 spec so I gave it a spec
>>> version number of 3.0.  Any suggestions about what to do
>>> about this would be appreciated.
>>

>> Do we really need to change anything?
>>
>> Imho the current
>> <artifactId> geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec
>> with a
>> <version> 1.0
>> is somehow not really maven stylish, but it doesn't hinder us ;)
>> The version of the jpa-spec actually is 1.0 and we do not have any
>> problem other than the confusing term '3.0' in the groupId since
>> this references EJB and not JPA.
>>
>> So I'd suggest to simply use
>> <version>2.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>> and we're done.
>
> Yes, this would be the thing to do.
>
> The original JPA was released as part of EJB, which had gotten to
> the 3.0 level. But JPA was brand, spanking new 1.0.
>
> The current JPA specification (JSR 317, now in Public Review Draft
> stage) is being billed as JPA Version 2.0. So 2.0-SNAPSHOT seems
> completely correct.
>
> So even though it's confusing because of the original geronimo-
> jpa_3.0_spec nomenclature, I'd say we confuse things even more if we
> change the artifact id or group id (again).

Well, that's not how the geronimo spec naming scheme works :-/

We have the problem of two more or less independent version
schemes.... the spec version and the geronimo release version.  We
decided to put the spec version in the maven artifact id.

geronimo-<spec-name>_<spec-version_spec

and the geronimo release version in the maven version.

So
<artifactId>geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec</artifactId>
<version>2.0-EA-SNAPSHOT</version>

would be a 2.0 release of the ejb 3.0/jpa 1.0 spec.

Without agreeing to a basic change in the naming convention I don't
think there's much alternative to having
<artifactId>geronimo-jpa_2.0_spec</artifactId>
<version>1.0-EA-SNAPSHOT</version>

for the jpa 2 specs we're proposing now, the question is what to do
about the existing and future jars.

> Craig
>>

>> Humm, btw, what's really confusing me now is the fact, that there
>> are 2 specs online:
>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/specs/
>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/geronimo-spec/
>>
>> I've always used the geronimo-spec until now, and this doesn't
>> contain the jpa spec anyway.
>>
>> So could someone shed a light on this for me (I'm not a geronimized
>> one)?

stuff under geronimo-spec is from the antedeluvian maven 1/geronimo
1.x spec releases and is many years old.  It gets into the maven2
repository by some kind of magic.

stuff under o.a.g.specs are the specs built with maven2, including all
the javaee 5 specs.  Most or all of them now also contain osgi
metadata along with occasional bug fixes.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Nov 11, 2008, at 2:28 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> --- David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> schrieb am Di, 11.11.2008:
>> This points out the possible problem that the jpa 1.0 spec
>> appeared to be part of the ejb 3.0 spec so I gave it a spec
>> version number of 3.0.  Any suggestions about what to do
>> about this would be appreciated.
>

> Do we really need to change anything?
>
> Imho the current
> <artifactId> geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec
> with a
> <version> 1.0
> is somehow not really maven stylish, but it doesn't hinder us ;)
> The version of the jpa-spec actually is 1.0 and we do not have any
> problem other than the confusing term '3.0' in the groupId since
> this references EJB and not JPA.
>
> So I'd suggest to simply use
> <version>2.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
> and we're done.

Yes, this would be the thing to do.

The original JPA was released as part of EJB, which had gotten to the
3.0 level. But JPA was brand, spanking new 1.0.

The current JPA specification (JSR 317, now in Public Review Draft
stage) is being billed as JPA Version 2.0. So 2.0-SNAPSHOT seems
completely correct.

So even though it's confusing because of the original geronimo-
jpa_3.0_spec nomenclature, I'd say we confuse things even more if we
change the artifact id or group id (again).

Craig

> Humm, btw, what's really confusing me now is the fact, that there
> are 2 specs online:
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/specs/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/geronimo-spec/
>
> I've always used the geronimo-spec until now, and this doesn't
> contain the jpa spec anyway.
>
> So could someone shed a light on this for me (I'm not a geronimized
> one)?
>
> txs and LieGrue,
> strub

Craig L Russell

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jeremy,

On Nov 10, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Jeremy Bauer wrote:

> OpenJPA & Geronimo devs,
> Efforts are underway to begin JPA 2.0 enhancements in OpenJPA.
> OpenJPA
> builds with and bundles the Geronimo JPA 1.0 spec jar.  As we move
> forward
> to JPA 2.0, OpenJPA will need to use/provide updated spec APIs.
> Like EJB
> 3.1, JPA 2.0 is still in the review stages so there may be frequent
> updates
> to the spec API until the final draft is published.   This leads to
> questions of "who, how, and where" for updating the JPA spec APIs to
> JPA
> 2.0.
>
> IMHO, it would be best if the spec jar resides in Geronimo.

+1

Even if the expert group shortly publishes a spec jar, it will not
have the proper license.

> Ideally, the
> Geronimo project will have a branch for JPA 2.0 spec development,
> with the
> OpenJPA project providing the JPA 2.0 enhancements.  The concern
> with that
> approach is that the OpenJPA committers cannot commit to the Geronimo
> repository.

Not yet, but surely this can be fixed.

> OpenJPA would need committers on the Geronimo project to do
> code commits and builds of the spec jar.  This may become a burden
> on the
> Geronimo project and may be a potential (albeit small) bottleneck for
> OpenJPA development.   Another alternative is for the OpenJPA
> project to
> temporarily update and maintain the 2.0 spec API (using the current
> Geronimo
> spec API as a starting point) while JPA 2.0 is in flux.  Major
> revisions
> and/or the final could then be provided to Geronimo to be published
> in the
> Geronimo repository, with the end goal of OpenJPA (and others) using
> the
> spec jar provided by Geronimo.

Assuming that the Geronimo PMC trusts the OpenJPA committers, one or
three OpenJPA developers should be given commit access to the portion
of the repository that contains the spec jar. With suitable tests to
make sure that we don't break the Geronimo build, this should be
straightforward.

Craig

> Thoughts/ideas/opinions?
>
> -Jeremy (OpenJPA committer)

Craig L Russell

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jeremy,

On Nov 10, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Jeremy Bauer wrote:

> OpenJPA & Geronimo devs,
> Efforts are underway to begin JPA 2.0 enhancements in OpenJPA.
> OpenJPA
> builds with and bundles the Geronimo JPA 1.0 spec jar.  As we move
> forward
> to JPA 2.0, OpenJPA will need to use/provide updated spec APIs.
> Like EJB
> 3.1, JPA 2.0 is still in the review stages so there may be frequent
> updates
> to the spec API until the final draft is published.   This leads to
> questions of "who, how, and where" for updating the JPA spec APIs to
> JPA
> 2.0.
>
> IMHO, it would be best if the spec jar resides in Geronimo.

+1

Even if the expert group shortly publishes a spec jar, it will not
have the proper license.

> Ideally, the
> Geronimo project will have a branch for JPA 2.0 spec development,
> with the
> OpenJPA project providing the JPA 2.0 enhancements.  The concern
> with that
> approach is that the OpenJPA committers cannot commit to the Geronimo
> repository.

Not yet, but surely this can be fixed.

> OpenJPA would need committers on the Geronimo project to do
> code commits and builds of the spec jar.  This may become a burden
> on the
> Geronimo project and may be a potential (albeit small) bottleneck for
> OpenJPA development.   Another alternative is for the OpenJPA
> project to
> temporarily update and maintain the 2.0 spec API (using the current
> Geronimo
> spec API as a starting point) while JPA 2.0 is in flux.  Major
> revisions
> and/or the final could then be provided to Geronimo to be published
> in the
> Geronimo repository, with the end goal of OpenJPA (and others) using
> the
> spec jar provided by Geronimo.

Assuming that the Geronimo PMC trusts the OpenJPA committers, one or
three OpenJPA developers should be given commit access to the portion
of the repository that contains the spec jar. With suitable tests to
make sure that we don't break the Geronimo build, this should be
straightforward.

Craig

> Thoughts/ideas/opinions?
>
> -Jeremy (OpenJPA committer)

Craig L Russell

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org> wrote:

> > What relevance does this possible EG sourced jar have to this
> > discussion?  My understanding was that you wouldn't use it even if it
> > existed.
>
> If JPA EG has released source for JPA 2.0 API, then it provides a
> checkpoint
> for source API we may create independently.

Even if the Expert Group would provide source, we (OpenJPA, Geronimo, etc)
would not want to use it due to licensing concerns.  We have to base our API
code off of the specification itself.  That is, create the source parts
based off the text in the specification.

> > I have no problem applying patches promptly and pushing snapshots.
> OK let us try one iteration with a small patch to see how does that this
> process go.  I am attaching a patch for new Criteria API definitions.
> http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1511117/jpa2.0-update-1.0-patch.txt
> jpa2.0-update-1.0-patch.txt
>
> This patch is an overlay over
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec/src/main/

Although David might be a nice guy and accept this patch, the normal process
would be just like somebody contributing to OpenJPA -- you would attach a
patch to the JIRA issue.  Based on this string of notes, it looks like
Jeremy had created JIRA Issue GERONIMO-4410 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4410).  So, I would think you
should post the patch to that JIRA Issue.

Personally, I would rather see us develop the first cut at OpenJPA first and
then post our tested version to the Geronimo Issue.  We could easily create
the first cut in our "sandbox", ensure everything builds and tests, and then
provide the patch to Geronimo.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Updating the JPA spec jar for JPA 2.0

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Nov 17, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Pinaki Poddar wrote:

> 1. Where is the 'JPA 2.0 spec jar'? Has JSR group released a API
> jar? I do
> not know of any.
> Can someone tell me if such a jar which corresponds to the API of
> JPA Review
> Dfaft version 2.0 dated Oct 31, 2008?

What relevance does this possible EG sourced jar have to this
discussion?  My understanding was that you wouldn't use it even if it
existed.

> 2. If there is no such jar currently available, then do we (OpenJPA
> developers) create one?
>
> 3. Is there any legal issues with that? If it is legally not
> permissible to
> create one, should we go to a meta-stable state of creating a
> openjpa-2.0-api.jar of our own?

What does the draft spec say?  The draft ee 6 specs I've seen say that
you can release jars as long as they are marked "early access" or the
equivalent.  I haven't looked at the jpa 2.0 spec.  I've been using *-
EA-SNAPSHOT as the version.

> 3. > IMHO, it would be best if the spec jar resides in Geronimo.
> I agree in long term and beg to differ in short-term. The JPA spec jar
> should be added to Geronimo repository *after* it has been publicly
> released
> by JPA Spec committee. This will help the OpenJPA developers to
> proceed with
> a tentative openjpa-2.0-api.jar for JPA 2.0 feature development but
> will
> also save Geronimo developers extra work to update a 'spec jar'
> which is
> neither public nor stable.

Of course you are free to decide to do anything you want.  I have no
problem applying patches promptly and pushing snapshots.  I would
expect it to involve less pom updating to start out with the jar you
intend to end with and only have to change the version, presumably
with a root pom property.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Updating the JPA spec jar for JPA 2.0