Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/11/12 12:50:33 UTC

Bastardized URL protocol (was Re: [RT] ComponentizedProcessor)

Bruno Dumon wrote:

>>Again see my rant in the other email.  There are HUGE differnces in the
>>way the URL is interpreted based on the existence of a repetitive character.
>>It should be more obvious than that.
>

> I somewhat agree with your rant, but I don't see the situation in Cocoon
> changing any time soon since it would break backwards compatibility. I
> find the cocoon:/ versus cocoon:// convenient to use though.

If I recall, I raised a hissy fit then too--I really don't like it.

> BTW, there was a little error in your rant:
> context://path/to/current/context/ should have been
> context:///path/to/current/context/

See what I mean?

And yes, I find this to be even more troublesome.

Just how many forward slashes do you really need?

>>And don't forget that URLs do have the concept of *resolving* relative
>>URLs.  THose are the contracts I am refering to.
>

> Yes, but it's still up to the scheme to specify if it follows those
> contracts or not.

They are there, and well understood--is there a compelling reason *not*
to use them?

Re: Bastardized URL protocol (was Re: [RT] ComponentizedProcessor)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Bruno Dumon wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 12:50, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>Bruno Dumon wrote:

>>>I somewhat agree with your rant, but I don't see the situation in Cocoon
>>>changing any time soon since it would break backwards compatibility. I
>>>find the cocoon:/ versus cocoon:// convenient to use though.
>>
>>If I recall, I raised a hissy fit then too--I really don't like it.
>>

>>>BTW, there was a little error in your rant:
>>>context://path/to/current/context/ should have been
>>>context:///path/to/current/context/
>>
>>See what I mean?
>>
>>And yes, I find this to be even more troublesome.
>>
>>Just how many forward slashes do you really need?
>

> Ah, I wasn't clear enough: the three slashes are what you are asking
> for, not what the situation currently is. According to the standard URL
> path notation, the part after the first two slashes identifies the
> authority (hostname usually). You see, seems like even the standard
> isn't known well enough ;-) (or else I misunderstood the intend of your
> remark)

The intent of the remark is to use a different standard than how many times
the "/" character is used to differentiate between absolute and relative
urls.  It is a bug waiting to happen--and you won't hear much about it because
everyone will be too embarrassed about the mistake.

THe secondary intent of the remark is to advocate a sort of xml:base="" (which
is a standard) to resolve relative URLs.

For example the path "foo/bar/baz.xml" can be resolved with a "context://" URL
if the xml:base is set with that in mind.  Alternatively, you can use
"cocoon://" or whatever.

It is more clear, as well as more flexible.

Re: Bastardized URL protocol (was Re: [RT] ComponentizedProcessor)

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.