Posted to ftpserver-dev@incubator.apache.org by Miguel Yepes Moyano <my...@aplicatec.com> on 2007/02/14 11:29:35 UTC

Problems creating a ftp server: java.net.BindException: Permission denied

Hello. I'm newbie in the list, and I have subscribed on it because i
have got a problem: I have created a daemon program using Apache Common
Daemons and launched with jsvc utility, and this one implements a Apache
ftp server. When I launch it using the port 21 i've the following
problem:

[...]
WARN FtpGenerator start - exception thrown
java.net.BindException: Permission denied
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:359)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:319)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:185)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:141)
        at
org.apache.ftpserver.socketfactory.FtpSocketFactory.createServerSocket(FtpSocketFactory.java:92)
        at org.apache.ftpserver.FtpServer.start(FtpServer.java:59)
        at
com.aplicatec.alarmserver.ftpgenerator.FtpGenerator.start(FtpGenerator.java:137)
        at
com.aplicatec.alarmserver.server.AlarmServer.start(AlarmServer.java:138)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.commons.daemon.support.DaemonLoader.start(DaemonLoader.java:177)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpHello. I'm newbie in the
[...]

Caused by: com.aplicatec.alarmserver.exception.AlarmServerException:
Exception thrown while starting
        at
com.aplicatec.alarmserver.ftpgenerator.FtpGenerator.start(FtpGenerator.java:142)
        at
com.aplicatec.alarmserver.server.AlarmServer.start(AlarmServer.java:138)
        ... 5 more
Caused by: java.net.BindException: Permission denied
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:359)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:319)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:185)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:141)
        at
org.apache.ftpserver.socketfactory.FtpSocketFactory.createServerSocket(FtpSocketFactory.java:92)
        at org.apache.ftpserver.FtpServer.start(FtpServer.java:59)
        at
com.aplicatec.alarmserver.ftpgenerator.FtpGenerator.start(FtpGenerator.java:137)
        ... 6 more
13/02/2007 19:27:57 26344 jsvc.exec error: Cannot start daemon
13/02/2007 19:27:57 26343 jsvc.exec error: Service exit with a return
value of 5

This problem does not always appear, it occurs only when daemon is
launching using port 21 on Linux (both Ubuntu and Gentoo distribution).
Using ports above 1024, there's no problem. Finally, it runs correctly
on Ms Windows.

I strongly need to launch the daemon with the port configuration option
set to the value 21 (of course, when I launch the daemon I'm a root
user). Can anybody help me?
Thanks.
l.invoke0(Native Method)

Re: Problems creating a ftp server: java.net.BindException: Permission denied

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Miguel Yepes Moyano wrote:
 > Hi! The problem has been solved. The daemon was launched using jsvc and
 > the root was who launchs it. The problem was located in jsvc, and has
 > been fixed modifying and recompiling it (it has a non desired call to
 > the function "set_caps"). The daemon runs well and creates the ftp
 > server on the port 21 as we want. Regards!

Great! Would you like to share how you did the configuration (scripts)
to get jsvc working? Would be great material for our wiki.

/niklas

Re: Problems creating a ftp server: java.net.BindException: Permission denied

Posted by Miguel Yepes Moyano <my...@aplicatec.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Hi Miguel