Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2006/03/14 02:32:04 UTC

[axis2] WSDL 2.0 CR work

(Woden folks - please leave the [axis2] prefix on the subject when
replying, as folks use that to filter axis-dev mail into separate folders)

Hi y'all!

I've taken an action from the W3C WSDL working group to begin inquiring
about whether we might be able to get Axis2 integrated with Woden in
time to use that combination as one of the test implementations in order
to prove interoperability of the WSDL 2.0 specs.

As WSDL is now in CR, and we're trying to get a test suite together,
this is clearly an "as soon as possible" kind of thing, so we're
wondering if people on the Axis2 and Woden teams will have some cycles
in order to get this going in the near term.

The test suite we end up with is going to have at least two parts - one
involving parsing WSDL documents, which is pretty much covered by Woden,
and the other involving on-the-wire tests of messages described by WSDL
documents, and that's where Axis2 comes in.

At present, Woden does not parse WSDL 1.1, and WOM does not parse WSDL
2.0... :( Therefore it's not just a matter of unplugging WOM and pluggin
in Woden.  So in order to get this working I see several possible
directions we could take:

1) Use Woden to parse WSDL 2.0 documents, and then build a connecting
library which builds WOM objects out of Woden objects.  PRO: none of the
rest of the Axis2 code would need to change.  CON: the shim layer would
be throwaway code.

2) Add WSDL 1.1 parsing functionality to Woden.  PRO: This is where we
really want to be long-term.  CON: lots of effort.

3) Switch over to Woden even without WSDL 1.1 parsing functionality, and
use the W3C's WSDL 1.1 -> WSDL 2.0 XSLT in order to do WSDL2Java with
1.1 documents in the meanwhile.  PRO: probably the minimum amount of
work.  CON: doubtful all WSDL 1.1 documents would work, and there's a
danger we'd fail on some popular services.

Are there others?

We're looking for thoughts, ideas, and ideally people who would be
willing to step up and help with this process in some way.  If you reply
please cc both axis-dev and woden-dev.

Thanks,
--Glen

Re: [axis2] WSDL 2.0 CR work

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Glen and all,
We are quite happy to see the woden people making progress and yes, we
are surely looking forward to a solid piece of woden code which we can
integrate to Axis2. Here is what I think of the situation right now.

1. WOM is somewhat deeply hooked into Axis2 right now and replacing it
would be a significant change. At least we have not introduced any new
features into WOM but still we've been depending on it for codegen a
lot. So I'm personally unhappy of any change that requires a
replacement of WOM at this moment.
2. I've been looking at the WSDL 1.1 > WSDL 2.0 conversion (the XSL)
and there are some doubtful areas in the conversion. I've seen critics
about the conversion that some type of WSDL's get converted fine but
some do not. This means that we are at a risk if we rely on the XSL
based converter and just as you explained, we might not get some
services to properly work.

So what I see is that even if we introduce a bit (well, may not be a
'bit') of throwaway code, the first option would be the most
feasible, least risky approach. It does mean that we've to write a
WSDL 2.0 serializer for WOM anyway :-)

Also I'm not going to state the woden integration (even the option 1)
as a 1.0 requirement. We've spent quite some time with WOM and I'm not
sure adopting woden right now will be the right thing to do. I mean we
do not plan on staying with WOM forever but since WOM is at a certain
level (certainly at the level of functionality we require it to be)
and partly due to the fear that woden will not function as we expect
it to, I'll say whatever kind of  Woden  integration is post 1.0.

Thoughts ?

Ajith

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [axis2] WSDL 2.0 CR work

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Glen and all,

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [axis2] WSDL 2.0 CR work

Posted by Chathura Herath <ch...@gmail.com>.
Argh sent out a unfinished mail
Sorry

Re: [axis2] WSDL 2.0 CR work

Posted by Chathura Herath <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: [axis2] WSDL 2.0 CR work

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
Glen, when Woden supports WSDL 1.1 I'd expect the test for determining
whether it's a 1.1 or 2.0 doc to be in WSDLReader. It would then give
back a 1.1 Definition or a 2.0 DescriptionElement. But this is after
Woden replaces WSDL4J.

Jeremy

Re: [axis2] WSDL 2.0 CR work

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.