Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com> on 2003/03/04 20:37:26 UTC

RE: maven POM and snapshot jars in the project.xml

Case 1:
In the cases, where I have used snapshots, it is not because I just want
to develop against the absolute latest version.  It is simply because I
need some functionality that will be included in the next release.  If
the snapshot has the release number included as part of the identifier,
it would be easy to spot snapshots that can be converted into the
released version when it becomes available.

If I was the person who added the snapshot dependency, then I will know
what version I am waiting to be released.  Even then, I am likely to
forget.  Granted, this use case can be dealt with by simply adding
comments to the POM.

Case 2:
Some projects have multiple development version.  For example, Torque
has 3.0.1 and 3.1.  torque-SNAPSHOT can only point to one of them.

[OT] Re: maven POM and snapshot jars in the project.xml

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.

> Case 2: Some projects have multiple development version.  For
> example, Torque has 3.0.1 and 3.1.  torque-SNAPSHOT can only point
> to one of them.

As an aside of sorts, isn't this situation very confusing regardless
of snapshots and all that?  Although I'm a developer on both Turbine
and Torque, with my end-user hat on, I find it very confusing to track
multiple sub-versions of the same release, let alone snaps of those
versions.

I'm not sure I have a real point here, just observing something out
loud, wondering if any others viewed the situation in the same light.

I guess I wonder if multiple streams of development in the same
codebase is a *non*-best practice.  Short Releases?

Anyhow, carry on.

                                                    ekkerbj@yahoo.com