Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Yona Eilat <Yo...@fundtech.co.il> on 2007/10/17 11:37:31 UTC

Build on remote machine.

Hi,

I would like to write ant file that will run Build on NT remote machine.

I have doubts regarding the way to implement it.

I would like enabling the option to run it from any local PC (of my team
members) or to run it from the remote machine in itself.

The build should to execute commands from the remote during the process.

I'll be happy to get an ideas or recommendation about the way to
implement it.

I thought to map drive (as part of the build) to the remote machine and
run it from there.

The problem is that once I'll run it from the remote machine, there
isn't required to map external drive for that machine...

If I run the build from my PC, does it use my resources or the remote
resources?

Moreover, how can I write code to enable for only 1 user to run build
for specific version?

Please advice,

Many Thanks,

Yona.

Re: Build on remote machine.

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
> Set up one of the continuation tools to do the build on the remote box
>
> Free
>    -cruisecontrol
>    -hudson
>    -luntbuild
>    -gump
>    -continuum
>    -anthill

or cruisecontrol.rb[1] if you're willing to install another runtime on
the build machine - ThoughtWorks have switched to using this
themselves I believe instead of the original cruisecontrol

[1] http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com/documentation/manual

Kev

Re: Build on remote machine.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Yona Eilat wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I would like to write ant file that will run Build on NT remote machine.
>
> I have doubts regarding the way to implement it.
>
> I would like enabling the option to run it from any local PC (of my team
> members) or to run it from the remote machine in itself.
>
> The build should to execute commands from the remote during the process.
>
> I'll be happy to get an ideas or recommendation about the way to
> implement it.
>
> I thought to map drive (as part of the build) to the remote machine and
> run it from there.
>
> The problem is that once I'll run it from the remote machine, there
> isn't required to map external drive for that machine...
>
> If I run the build from my PC, does it use my resources or the remote
> resources?

your resources. you have only mapped the drive, not logged in. Note also
if your clock is different from other people's clocks, the depencencies
get screwed up.

> Moreover, how can I write code to enable for only 1 user to run build
> for specific version?

dont try and set up ant to do this. It can be done, but it is pretty
painful.

Set up one of the continuation tools to do the build on the remote box

Free
   -cruisecontrol
   -hudson
   -luntbuild
   -gump
   -continuum
   -anthill

commercial
  -bamboo
  -teamcity
  -anthill pro
  -luntbuild pro

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: Build on remote machine.

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hudson as a slave mechanism to run jobs on remote
machines.
It also has a pretty awesome vmserver plugin to place
these remote jobs on vm servers.

Peter

RE: Build on remote machine.

Posted by "Rebhan, Gilbert" <Gi...@huk-coburg.de>.

Re: Build on remote machine.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
david wrote:
> If you want an ant only solution you will have to build locally and deploy remotely:

This works for deployment, but not remote building. I do that kind of
thing to push out RPM files to vmware-hosted linux distros and test
their installation; works very nicely.

For remote building you need one of

-a server that supports telnet or ssh
-clients to connect
-team cooperation to not run ant at the same time

or

-a web based gui from a CI tool

or

-some other tool that can remotely run Ant, marshall errors back across
the wire, deal with security, etc.

Again, I would point people back at the CI tool. That said, we often SSH
in to our Cruisecontrol host to run stuff by hand, just to see in more
detail why things fail.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: Build on remote machine.

Posted by david <da...@davidwbrown.name>.
If you want an ant only solution you will have to build locally and deploy remotely:

Yona Eilat wrote ..