Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2009/08/06 09:22:44 UTC

Assigned field in Jira...

Gang,

I think you guys are a bit too quick to 'assign' the respective
issues. Leave them unassigned until you are about to start working on
them. I see many that are assigned to either Greg or Todd, but could
equally be picked up by anyone else. So, Greg/Todd, unassign the ones
that are not on your 'immediate list of the day'...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Assigned field in Jira...

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> If an issue is unassigned, it is safe to assume nobody is working on
> it, and to claim it as yours. But since both you and Todd are very
> active, any of the assigned issues can be already under way. In my
> opinion it is intimidating for newcomers to a project.

> To add to the list: why only assign issues to either yourself or Todd?
> Your committer base is 5 folks, not 2.

Good points. Moving forward, we should adopt a strategy of leaving
issues unassigned until someone starts working on them.

Thanks.

Re: Assigned field in Jira...

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
It prevents others from participation. You guys already do the bulk of
all commits and have established quite some 'ownership' of the code.

If an issue is unassigned, it is safe to assume nobody is working on
it, and to claim it as yours. But since both you and Todd are very
active, any of the assigned issues can be already under way. In my
opinion it is intimidating for newcomers to a project. Not only for
the other committers, but also for non-committers. They don't know
which issues they can work on, since all issues are
claimed—effectively drying out a source of new committers.

If a particular issue is in a specific area of expertise that only you
know, then it is fine to assign them to you, but in a collaborative
environment, you should strive to maximize participation.

To add to the list: why only assign issues to either yourself or Todd?
Your committer base is 5 folks, not 2. Though this is not a request to
start assigning issues in a dictatorial role: there is no such role
within Apache projects. I'd rather keep issues unassigned in this
case.

As for your wish to keep things 'on the radar'... JIRA has enough
tools to keep track of issues without having to assign them to
persons. If you wish, you can assign them to releases where the issues
need to be fixed. This way they still are on the radar.

Martijn

ps. please add a 23 hours sleep in the last 96 hours filter for any
harsh language in this message... Little guy doesn't keep his hours...

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Greg Brown<gk...@mac.com> wrote:
> That is just my way of keeping them on our radar. It shouldn't be considered
> a strict assignment. Developers should feel free to review any issues
> assigned to either me or Todd to see if they would like to work on
> something.
>

> On Aug 6, 2009, at 3:22 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
>> Gang,
>>
>> I think you guys are a bit too quick to 'assign' the respective
>> issues. Leave them unassigned until you are about to start working on
>> them. I see many that are assigned to either Greg or Todd, but could
>> equally be picked up by anyone else. So, Greg/Todd, unassign the ones
>> that are not on your 'immediate list of the day'...
>>

>> Cheers
>> --
>> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
>> http://www.qi4j.org - New Energy for Java
>>
>> I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
>> I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
>> I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Apache Wicket 1.4 increases type safety for web applications
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4.0

Re: Assigned field in Jira...

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.
I think you should rather be using the fields for targeting bugs at
specific versions to keep track of stuff that still needs doing.

>From the outside, it's impossible to know if a bug assigned to you means
- someone else can pick it up
- you already have a specific idea, but haven't coded it yet
- you have a patch and you haven't bothered to commit it

-- Noel.

Re: Assigned field in Jira...

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.