Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Kurt Ward <ku...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/24 18:14:05 UTC

Re: Tasks

> Summed up, reduce complexity, be a friend to the user and enhance
> flexibility.
>
> BTW, I think the long term goal should be to replace them completely with
> a SiXDML interpreter so that using Xindice would be more like using a
> traditional database. Dare Obasanjo is supposed to be working on an
> implementation. We'll see how this shapes up over time, but for now I
> think we can improve the current tools a lot.

I've been thinking of how an improved set of command line tools might
function.  If you guys agree with this starting point, I'll get started on
some framework.
I was thinking of a command line similar to MySQL, eliminating the slow VM
startup
for each command.  You would run xindiceadmin and get a prompt (this would
be the
place to add user authentication  in the future):

/usr/local/xindice/xindiceadmin

Xindice>

Re: command line tools [was: Tasks]

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@xmldatabases.org>.
On Sunday, March 24, 2002, at 04:45 PM, Michael Gratton wrote:

> Kurt Ward wrote:
> > I was thinking of a command line similar to MySQL, eliminating the
> > slow VM startup for each command.
>
> I'd say that's an excellent idea, especially when doing interactive
> maintenance or developement work. However, I wouldn't want to lose the
> ability to use a "normal", non-interactive command line tool like we have
> at the moment. It should be possible to automate tasks from a script, eg,
>  stopping, backing up and starting Xindice using cron.

Having two different ways to do things would be very bad for usability. I'
d think having the interpreter read a script would fulfill this need,

BTW, Kurt before going too deep into this, you might want to look at
SiXDML http://www.sixdml.org. Don't let it scare you, it's really a simple
language and most things should map pretty easily to the Xindice model.
You'd need to create a interactive language anyway, so you may as well
start there. What you're describing is what I'm expecting from a SixDML
impl.

Dare made his Excelon impl available as open source and is supposed to be
working on an impl for Xindice. I don't know how much time he has to work
on it, but it's something that could be very useful to include. This can
easily just be a veneer that sits on top of Xindice, it doesn't have to be
tightly integrated into the engine. That's how the Excelon impl works now.
  We can of course integrate things how ever is optimal, but just layering
it over the XML:DB API is a simple place to start.

> Some sort of "CLI framework" could probably be put together easily so you
> only have to write a command's implementation once, and it gets picked up
> automatically by both the interactive and non-interactive tools.

> Mike.
>
> -- Mike Gratton <mi...@vee.net>, <http://web.vee.net/>
> Leader in leachate production and transmission since 1976.

Kimbro Staken
Java and XML Software, Consulting and Writing http://www.xmldatabases.org/
Apache Xindice native XML database http://xml.apache.org/xindice
XML:DB Initiative http://www.xmldb.org

command line tools [was: Tasks]

Posted by Michael Gratton <mi...@vee.net>.

Re[2]: Tasks

Posted by Dawid Weiss <Da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
Sounds  o.k.,  but  please don't forget to include some 'batch' mode, where
commands  would  be read from a file. It is important, since I believe many
people use command line tools in replacement for SQL's DDL.
Dawid

>> Summed up, reduce complexity, be a friend to the user and enhance
>> flexibility.
>>
>> BTW, I think the long term goal should be to replace them completely with
>> a SiXDML interpreter so that using Xindice would be more like using a
>> traditional database. Dare Obasanjo is supposed to be working on an
>> implementation. We'll see how this shapes up over time, but for now I
>> think we can improve the current tools a lot.

KW> I've been thinking of how an improved set of command line tools might
KW> function.  If you guys agree with this starting point, I'll get started on
KW> some framework.
KW> I was thinking of a command line similar to MySQL, eliminating the slow VM
KW> startup
KW> for each command.  You would run xindiceadmin and get a prompt (this would
KW> be the
KW> place to add user authentication  in the future):

KW> /usr/local/xindice/xindiceadmin

Xindice>>

KW> From here, I'm thinking you would set the collection that you want to work
KW> with: