Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Apekshit Sharma <ap...@cloudera.com> on 2017/01/26 19:55:38 UTC

Reminder: Please use git am when committing patches

Hi devs,

A recent question by new contributor (thread: Git Pull Request to HBase)
and looking at history of commits, i think it is worth re-iterating that
committer should use *git am* while committing patches so that whoever did
the actual work gets appropriate credit in git history.
In case the patch uploaded is unformatted patch (without author tag),
please use
*git commit --author=<foo>.*
I don't think we should be lax about it as a community if the original
author doesn't get appropriate credit.

Thanks
-- Appy

Re: Reminder: Please use git am when committing patches

Posted by Apekshit Sharma <ap...@cloudera.com>.
Looks like replies are in favor of the idea that work done by our
contributors should be credit appropriately and show up in places that
matter.
I'll make the changes in dev book to mention git am (if formatted patch)
and git --author (if not formatted patch, alternatively ask the contributor
to use the 'right' way and re-upload formatted patch).
Here's the jira https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-17552.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Apekshit Sharma <ap...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.