Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2010/06/07 22:53:26 UTC

board 3rd monthly status report

The board report is due in a couple of days.

Here's my draft:

Status report for the Apache UIMA Project

Apache UIMA's mission: the creation and maintenance of open-source
software related to the analysis of unstructured data, guided by the
UIMA Oasis Standard.

Releases
- - - -
none yet (as a TLP), we hope to do one in the next month or 2.

2010-1-26 2.3.0 (Incubator - last release) release of Java SDK, Annotator
                add-on package, UIMA-AS (Async scaleout), and UIMA-CPP
                (C++ enablement)

Development
- - - - - -
Work continues in standardizing our build processes with Maven
conventions.
Builds now generally work with the new maven alignement, and we're
starting to attempt releases with this new structure.

We still have a significant number of issues remain in Jira, postponed
from the last release.  More progress should get made on these after
our Maven re-alignment work is finished.

Issues regarding large scale use of UIMA-AS continue to be reported
and fixed; these often have to do with corner cases involving very
large scaleouts and error situations.

The project-wide POM used as a parent pom is the first artifact to be
released; it is currently in the staging area, and a vote is underway.
This represents the first time the project has used the maven "release"
plugin and Nexus repository for releasing.

A new user is proposing some feature enhancements to two of the
annotators, and this is being looked at.

The main committer on the CAS Editor tool is proposing some future
directions for this tooling that aims at providing a more componentized
approach for additional capabilities.

We are planning to gradually move documentation updates to make more
use of maven's "site" capabilities.

Community
- - - - -
No changes