Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2016/11/02 01:46:44 UTC

Re: Apache Ignite 1.8 Release

Igniters,
I have implemented a basic set of Redis protocol commands a while ago -- those I could wrap Ignite's REST/memcached commands with.
Since Redis protocol has a richer set of commands compared to REST's, there are some limitations in the current implementation (and I think it will be not that easy to implement more advanced commands). Please see the ticket, it has a list of commands and the limitation described.
Can it be reviewed, and possibly receive recommendations how to remove the limitations? Probably it can be considered for 1.8 release.
-Roman

    On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 1:26 AM, Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> wrote:

 Igniters,

Looking at the discussions that happen on our dev list regarding Ignite's improvements I should say that we’re ready to prepare and roll out one more Ignite minor release before the end of the year - Apache Ignite 1.8.0. My proposal is to make it available by mid November, somewhere around November 21st.

Personally, the following features have to be included in it due to the importance and readiness:
DML Support: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-2294 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-2294>
PHP PDO Support from ODBC side: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-3865 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-3865>
Ignite as a second level cache for .NET Entity Framework: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-1915 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-1915>

The first feature make it realistic to execute INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE queries over Ignite caches using Java APIs or by connecting to a cluster using JDBC or ODBC drivers and send DML queries not only from Java side but from a variety of technologies and tools. As an example, the second feature from the list is intended to enable support for PHP by mixing DML with SELECT SQL queries plus sending them over Ignite’s ODBC driver.

The third feature will allow to broaden the usage of Apache Ignite .NET client among .NET community by providing more advanced support for .NET Entity Framework.

Feature owners of the above mentioned tickets, please provide the current status on them?

If anyone else wants to see something else as a part of Ignite 1.8 and ready to contribute it by the mid of November please reply to the thread as well.

Regards,
Denis

Re: Apache Ignite 1.8 Release

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>.
Igniter,

I constantly see a lot of complains around the situation that Ignite still uses an old Spark version for its Spark module. This definitely prevents from using Ignite inside of Spark community. Here you can see the latest concerns and complains raised in our chat
https://gitter.im/apacheignite/ignite?at=581e5d43e097df7575759e4a <https://gitter.im/apacheignite/ignite?at=581e5d43e097df7575759e4a>

I would propose to escalate and renew Spark version’s on Ignite side as a part of 1.8 release.

Who would like to take over this activity? Any thought, concerns so far?

—
Denis

Re: Apache Ignite 1.8 Release

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache Ignite 1.8 Release

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>.
Igniters,

I’ve prepared the page with all the tickets that are assigned on 1.8
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+1.8 <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+1.8>

Re: Apache Ignite 1.8 Release

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>.
Roman,