Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by William Lee Valentine <vs...@lobo.net> on 2020/04/20 22:21:03 UTC

Template categories

I have available to me the following instructions for the creation of a
new template category. (I am instructed first to create the category in
which I will wish to store a template when I have created the latter.)

1. Click on File > Templates > Organize.

2. Right click on one of the template names in the left column.

3. Choose New from the pop-up menu.

4. Rename the new category Untitled that now appears on the left.
(Overtype the name "Untitled".)

5. Click Close.

I have followed these steps both in version 3.3 of OpenOffice (running
on a machine that still uses Windows 2000), and in version 4.1.7. In
both cases I have created a new template category "Custom" to add to
those provided by default. I have completed the above five steps with
apparent success. When I then attempt to save a new template, however,
my category "Custom" does not appear: I am given only the defaults that
were initially provided (or am shown "Untitled" as well).

Is my documentation in error, or is there a change in OpenOffice that
renders the above instructions invalid?

Thank you for any assistance that you may have.

-- Lee Valentine

Re: Template categories

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 16:21 20/04/2020 -0600, William Lee Valentine wrote:
>I have available to me the following instructions for the creation
>of a new template category. (I am instructed first to create the
>category in which I will wish to store a template when I have
>created the latter.)
>
>1. Click on File > Templates > Organize.
>2. Right click on one of the template names in the left column.
>3. Choose New from the pop-up menu.
>4. Rename the new category Untitled that now appears on the left.
>(Overtype the name "Untitled".)
>5. Click Close.
>
>I have followed these steps both in version 3.3 of OpenOffice
>(running on a machine that still uses Windows 2000), and in version
>4.1.7. In both cases I have created a new template category "Custom" to add to
>those provided by default. I have completed the above five steps
>with apparent success. When I then attempt to save a new template,
>however, my category "Custom" does not appear: I am given only the
>defaults that were initially provided (or am shown "Untitled" as well).

I think you may be looking in the wrong place. It seems that
categories are created as folders called Untitled, Untitled1, and so
on within the template folder. But OpenOffice knows that you want the
categories called Custom or whatever. If you use Save As... and
browse around your file system, you will only find those folders with
their unhelpful names. But instead you should be using File |
Templates > | Save... in order to save your template (if you want it
in the standard place for templates), when you will see the
OpenOffice dialogue showing the categories with their desired names.

Note also that if you then wish to open a template to use (e.g via
File | New > | Templates and Documents), the default landing place
seems to be My Templates, so you will see at first only templates
within that category. You just need to use the Up One Level button at
the top of that dialogue to reveal categories, including your new ones.

Or do you mean something else?

>Is my documentation in error, or is there a change in OpenOffice
>that renders the above instructions invalid?

I think neither.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker