Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu> on 2010/10/27 18:45:41 UTC

Reply-To headers [was: RE: How do I this in Solr?]

> Yes I missed that requirement (as Steven also pointed out in a private
> e-mail).

I didn't intentionally make the email private - for some reason, when I hit Reply for messages from you, Mike, the recipient becomes just you, rather than the solr-user list.  I've never seen this behavior before - usually replies go to the list - and I didn't notice that I wasn't replying just to the list (which is what I intended).

Does anyone know why the Reply-To header would be missing in emails sent to the solr-user list?  I did a small random sample of recent emails to the list, and Mike's emails are not the only ones missing Reply-To: solr-user; some emails do have it though.  So something weird seems to be happening.

Steve

RE: Reply-To headers [was: RE: How do I this in Solr?]

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
I should have received two copies of the message Mike sent, but received only the one CC'd to me personally, and never received the one sent to the solr-user list - this explains why my copy was missing the Reply-To header.

Hossman on IRC told me the (very likely) cause of this issue (paraphrasing here): Since many mail servers de-duplicate based on message ID, the one I got could easily just have been a question of which copy got to me first.

The upshot: CC'ing non-list recipients on mailing lists can cause those recipients to only get the personal copy of the email, and not the list copy of the email, resulting in missing Reply-To headers (and other mailing list headers).

Steve