Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com> on 2009/06/24 01:06:48 UTC

Discussion: iCalendar Integration

I'm almost ready to commit the work I have been doing on the iCalendar
integration. Before I do, I would like some feedback on a particular
function.

Background: One work effort serves as an iCalendar "publish point" -
it's not a work effort that anyone interacts with, it just contains
settings that tell the iCalendar servlet what to do. In the current
implementation, all public work efforts of all parties assigned to the
publish point will be included in the calendar. The party's assignment
role is ignored. The publish point's scope (public, confidential,
private) is ignored. These are things I would like to change.

In the new implementation, if the publish point work effort has a public
scope, then anyone can view work efforts that are related to it. If the
scope isn't public, then access to the related work efforts is
restricted to only the parties who are assigned to the publish point.
Oops, now I have a conflict with the previous implementation - where a
party assignment meant to include that party's public work efforts in
the calendar.

Here's where I need the feedback. I need to use the publish point work
effort to party assignment ROLE to control what the servlet does. A
party related to the publish point in role "A" is a party whose public
work efforts are included in the calendar. A party assigned to the
publish point in role "B" is a party whose access to the calendar is
controlled by the publish point.

Looking at the current calendar roles, we have Attendee, Delegate, Host,
Organizer, and Owner. The Delegate role might be appropriate for the
party in role "B". I don't know what to do about the party in role "A" -
should I create a new role? Something like "Calendar Participant" or
"Calendar Member"?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

-Adrian

Re: Discussion: iCalendar Integration

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi Adrian,

thanks first of all the work you are doing here, and excellent addition
to the system. However i have the impression that not enough existing
functions in ofbiz are re-used and the implementation is not integrated
enough. Related to that is how this will work together with the calendar
function in workeffort? In that calendar there is no publishpoint.

In the end, the ical calendar downloaded should be the same as the
workeffort calendar showed in the screens?

Can you please explain what your thoughts are on this?

see further my comments inline....

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 16:06 -0700, Adrian Crum wrote:
> I'm almost ready to commit the work I have been doing on the iCalendar
> integration. Before I do, I would like some feedback on a particular
> function.
>
> Background: One work effort serves as an iCalendar "publish point" -
> it's not a work effort that anyone interacts with, it just contains
> settings that tell the iCalendar servlet what to do. In the current
> implementation, all public work efforts of all parties assigned to the
> publish point will be included in the calendar. The party's assignment
> role is ignored. The publish point's scope (public, confidential,
> private) is ignored. These are things I would like to change.
>
> In the new implementation, if the publish point work effort has a public
> scope, then anyone can view work efforts that are related to it. If the
> scope isn't public, then access to the related work efforts is
> restricted to only the parties who are assigned to the publish point.
> Oops, now I have a conflict with the previous implementation - where a
> party assignment meant to include that party's public work efforts in
> the calendar.
>
> Here's where I need the feedback. I need to use the publish point work
> effort to party assignment ROLE to control what the servlet does. A
> party related to the publish point in role "A" is a party whose public
> work efforts are included in the calendar. A party assigned to the
> publish point in role "B" is a party whose access to the calendar is
> controlled by the publish point.

it looks like that the info at the related workeffort to the publish
point should override the info at the publish point. If the publish
point is public but the related workefffort is not then that event
should not be available.

What do you mean here with role "A" and role "B"? I am lost here

--
Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive rates

Re: SV: Discussion: iCalendar Integration

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
What you're describing is probably handled best within the work effort
application.

The iCalendar integration is simply a means to provide work effort data
in iCalendar format for iCalendar clients to use. It is not intended to
be a project management program (which already exists in OFBiz).

-Adrian

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Please have a look at the project manager, it is all there.....even the
invoicing of these entered hours....

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Adrian,