Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jay Glanville <Ja...@naturalconvergence.com> on 2005/03/09 20:52:24 UTC

what's the advantage of using "wsdl2java --server-side"?

Hello all.

>From my understanding of Axis, there are two ways to generate a web
service:

1) Write a class who's methods are the methods of your service.  In your
server-config.wsdd, set the className parameter of your service to the
above classname.

2) Write a class who's methods are the methods of your service.  Run
java2wsdl to generate your wsdl file.  Run wsdl2java --server-side to
generate your server's service, bindings, stubs, implementations, etc.
"deploy" your service.

I've been doing #1 as it's easier (no deploying, don't have to emit
anything, just write the service).

(Note, that I'm in the unique situation where I'm not using Axis as the
web server: I actually have a servlet web application that I'm embedding
my web service into.  Therefore, I don't want to deal with installing
the web app, and then have to "deploy" my web service.)

Is there something I'm missing?  Is there an advantage to method #2 over
#1?  If I want to write custom serializers, do I need to do #2?

Thanks

JDG

---
Jay Glanville