Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by mike niemaz <ni...@xrce.xerox.com> on 2000/07/13 13:47:26 UTC

Tomcat or Apache

Hi,
    How do I know when it's Apache or TomCat
    that is serving a certain request?
    "cos I'm trying to make Apache serve static files (HTML?)
    but i don't really see the difference ....

    Any clue?

--mike

Re: Tomcat or Apache

Posted by James Cook <ji...@iname.com>.
I suppose Tomcat's access logs shouldn't show those static files in it's
list.

jim

RE: Tomcat or Apache

Posted by Michael Dowling <mi...@e-acumen.com>.
telnet to your machine, on the port apache is listening to.

Do a GET request for a page.

if this is in the header:
Servlet-Engine: Tomcat Web Server/3.1 (JSP 1.1; Servlet 2.2; Java 1.2.2;
Linux 2.2.5-15smp i386; java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.)

Then Tomcat processed the request.  Otherwise, it was apache.

for example:

[michael@dev content-80]$ telnet localhost 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /myapp/login/ HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:40:34 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1

[...]

VERSUS:

[michael@dev content-80]$ telnet localhost 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:43:06 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1
Last-Modified: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:41:20 GMT
ETag: "34816-80-3963e3c0"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

[...]

thanks, mdd

--
Michael D. Dowling
V.P. Technology, e-Acumen

Re: Tomcat or Apache

Posted by mike niemaz <ni...@xrce.xerox.com>.
oooops, forget it ;-)
Of course you're right since tomcat.conf is "loaded"
from http.conf.
My mistake ;-(

--mike

Re: Tomcat or Apache