Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Florian Dufour <Fl...@inrialpes.fr> on 2005/11/16 14:32:39 UTC

[users@httpd] File name with dots AND MultiViews

Hi,

I've got a strange problem with MultiViews and Apache 2.0.55 : in a
directory, we have to files :

           lastname.en.html
           firstname.lastname.en.html

MultiViews option is enabled in this directory.

When I ask for "lastname" with my web client, Apache serves
lastname.fr.html as I accept HTML and english.

However, if I ask for "firstname.lastname", I get "404 file not
found".

In my apache error log, I can read :

   Negotiation: discovered file(s) matching request:
   /directory/firstname.lastname (None could be negotiated).

What's the problem ? Are filenames with dots forbidden while using
MultiViews negotiation ?

Florian Dufour

Direction de l'Information Scientifique et de la Communication
Tél : 04 76 61 52 39 - Mél : Florian.Dufour@inrialpes.fr

Re: [users@httpd] Re: File name with dots AND MultiViews

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/17/05, Florian Dufour <Fl...@inrialpes.fr> wrote:
> Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com> writes :
>
> > On 11/16/05, Florian Dufour <Fl...@inrialpes.fr> wrote:
> >> What's the problem ? Are filenames with dots forbidden while using
> >> MultiViews negotiation ?
> > Try:
> > MultiViewsMatch Any
>
> It works.
>
> It's a great pity that this option can lead to « unpredicatable
> results », according to Apache documentation [1]...

"Unpredictable" is probably a little strong.  "Surprising" would be
more accurate.
The option is safe as long as you never have stray files hanging
around in the webspace that you don't want seen from the web.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] Re: File name with dots AND MultiViews

Posted by Florian Dufour <Fl...@inrialpes.fr>.
Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com> writes :

> On 11/16/05, Florian Dufour <Fl...@inrialpes.fr> wrote:
>> What's the problem ? Are filenames with dots forbidden while using
>> MultiViews negotiation ?
> Try:
> MultiViewsMatch Any

It works.

It's a great pity that this option can lead to « unpredicatable
results », according to Apache documentation [1]...

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_mime.html#multiviewsmatch

Thank you very much for your help !

Re: [users@httpd] File name with dots AND MultiViews

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/05, Florian Dufour <Fl...@inrialpes.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a strange problem with MultiViews and Apache 2.0.55 : in a
> directory, we have to files :
>
>            lastname.en.html
>            firstname.lastname.en.html
>
> MultiViews option is enabled in this directory.
>
> When I ask for "lastname" with my web client, Apache serves
> lastname.fr.html as I accept HTML and english.
>
> However, if I ask for "firstname.lastname", I get "404 file not
> found".
>
> In my apache error log, I can read :
>
>    Negotiation: discovered file(s) matching request:
>    /directory/firstname.lastname (None could be negotiated).
>
> What's the problem ? Are filenames with dots forbidden while using
> MultiViews negotiation ?

Try:
MultiViewsMatch Any
in httpd.conf.