Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/26 19:41:27 UTC

SIP-10 Improve Getting Started experience

Dear all,

Based on the discussion in SOLR-14726, Slack, and in many other JIRA
issues, I am proposing to spearhead the Big Cleanup focused on
improving getting started experience, targeting Solr 9 only. This is
mostly about examples, but it also touches quite heavily on default
configuration files and - less heavily - on the directory layout
issues.

As this is bigger than any of my previous contributions to the project
and is quite cross-cutting, I've made a Solr Improvement Proposal.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/SIP-10+Improve+Getting+Started+experience

Regards,
   Alex.
Ps. As a side note, in many of the discussions, people say "I would
prefer if we did X", but with the reality of "X" not being complete,
actually fully tested or even applicable to the
standalone/cloud/whatever aspect of the discussion. Those preferences
are still welcome, but I am begging for explicit qualification of
their current availability for the critical path. This proposal is an
attempt to minimize dependence on actual new code features.
Pps. I am also very aware that the proposal implies lots of
semi-related changes and I will end up potentially stepping on
people's feet. And I don't yet know the proper flow of work to do this
(individual Jiras, combined Jiras, separate branch(s), etc). I would
really need advice or a mentor or even a group of mentors to make this
happen in a community-minded fashion.

Re: SIP-10 Improve Getting Started experience

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
+1 to this effort and thanks for stepping up.

I think we shouldn't unnecessarily constrain ourselves only with what works
today: if there's something that is clearly better, let's fix/build it so
that we have a pleasant user experience. Just my two cents. Case in point:
data driven schemaless mode. Let's remove/fix/build alternatives so that
starting experience is smooth.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
+100

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.