Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Charles Souillard <Ch...@ext.bull.net> on 2006/03/08 07:53:26 UTC

[JXPath] array initialisation

Hi all,

I want to know how it is possible to init an empty array.
In my case, I am using XPath to specify a location into a xml tree to
set a value.
Let me explain you :

I have a bookstore with a set of books.
Books are not yet initialized. I want to set the book at the index number 2.
the xpath expression is :
/bookstore/books[2]

In fact I am using the following java code :

context.createPathAndSetValue(myQuery,value);

I get the following exception :

Caused by: org.apache.commons.jxpath.JXPathException: Exception trying
to create xpath /bookstore/book[2]; Cannot access property: books;
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.commons.jxpath.ri.JXPathContextReferenceImpl.createPathAndSetValue(JXPathContextReferenceImpl.java:469)
        at
org.apache.commons.jxpath.ri.JXPathContextReferenceImpl.createPathAndSetValue(JXPathContextReferenceImpl.java:457)

Can you tell if there is a workaround or what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks,
Charles

RE: [JXPath] array initialisation

Posted by Tahir Akhtar <ta...@spectrum-tech.com>.
How did you get your JXPathContext object? It all depends on the context :)

Perhaps it would be a good idea to work with some collection object instead
of array.

Just my two cents

Regards,
Tahir