Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Vinay Venkatesh <vi...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/10 16:22:04 UTC

Win2003 cleanmgr issues

Hi ,

I am trying to capture a win 2003 image. During the precapture process , the
program to clean up the hard disk "cleanmgr" does not seem to complete and
the process stalls. I tried disabling the "Compress old files" options and
gave a try, but it didnt help either. The hard disk capacity is 10GB and
free space of 7GB. Has anyone encountered similar problems with cleanmgr?

Thanks and Regards
Vinay

Re: Win2003 cleanmgr issues

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
I have seen this before.  Every time I have seen it hang it's the result
of a corrupted recycle bin.  This was determined by logging in and
trying to run it manually.  The utility presents a dialog box stating
essentially "Recycle Bin corrupted, attempt to repair?" with OK/Cancel
buttons.  There is no command-line argument to prevent this from
happening.  Also, I have seen this problem reoccur on an image even
after the utility supposedly repaired it.

I actually updated the code a few weeks ago to get around the problem.
It now launches cleanmgr.exe in a separate process and waits up to 2
minutes for the process to terminate.  If it's still running, a warning
is displayed in the log file and the capture proceeds.

I would try to login manually, run "cleanmgr.exe /SAGERUN:01", and see
if any boxes appear asking for user input.  You may be able to fix the
problem by allowing cleanmgr.exe to repair things.

If this doesn't work, you can force the capture process to proceed by
killing the cleanmgr.exe SSH process once it hangs.  Find the SSH
process that called cleanmgr.exe on the management node:
ps -ef | grep cleanmgr

Kill the matching process.  You may see 2 processes in the ps output -
one being the actually SSH process and another being it's parent 'sh -c'
process calling SSH.  Killing either of these should work.  A warning
will appear in the vcld.log file but the capture process should proceed.

-Andy