Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2001/12/11 17:41:31 UTC

cleaning up dist/old/

In the interest of helping out mirrors, are there any objections to keeping
only a single copy of the old releases, rather than both .gz and .Z.  In
other words, can I do

cd /www/www.apache.org/dist/httpd/old/
rm *.Z
rm *.tar_Z.asc
rm *.tar.Z.asc

Seems like a simple way to save 65mb or so.

Joshua.

Re: cleaning up dist/old/

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

> In the interest of helping out mirrors, are there any objections to keeping
> only a single copy of the old releases, rather than both .gz and .Z.  In
> other words, can I do
>
> cd /www/www.apache.org/dist/httpd/old/
> rm *.Z
> rm *.tar_Z.asc
> rm *.tar.Z.asc
>
> Seems like a simple way to save 65mb or so.

Hmm... I don't think I like that idea.  I understand the desire to save
mirror space, but I definitely think we should have the old tarballs and
signatures in their original state stored permanently and available
online.  Maybe we could just move them to httpd.apache.org where they
won't be mirrored?

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

RE: cleaning up dist/old/

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

> From: Marc Slemko [mailto:marcs@znep.com]

> I prefer quality of mirrors over quantity of mirrors, since low quality of
> mirrors can quickly cause a user to give up trying mirrors, and forever
> change to not use any Apache mirrors.  I'm not sure I really see 65 megs
> (or even ten times that) as being a critical issue... is it?  And if it is
> a big deal for some people, then I'm not sure if they really have the
> resources to be providing a quality mirror.

Ok. Forget it.  I agree with Marc.

Joshua.

Re: cleaning up dist/old/

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.