Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org> on 2020/11/02 01:36:04 UTC

Re: OODT 2.0 planning

+1 from me

From: Imesha Sudasingha <im...@apache.org>
Date: Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 6:56 PM
To: dev <de...@oodt.apache.org>
Subject: Re: OODT 2.0 planning

Hi All,

This is an old thread where we discussed the plan for next releases. In

summary, following was the plan:

2.0 – first release where we remove all the Xml-RPC and we change nothing

else. Avro is the default, and only

comm option – though interface exists for anyone that wants to roll their

own. We change nothing else*

2.1 – first release with newer JDK support (everyone is asking for this,

and it screws up people like me with

new Macs, or computers and newer JDKs by default). We also begin cleaning

up dependencies and removing

old ones, and pointing at new stuff.

2.2 – OpsUi React with GSoC 2019 output.

2.3 – We integrate, test and demo the Docker builds. We also test and fully

bake the ZK deployments and

scaled up Docker.

Any changes/suggestions to the above plan?

What if we release the OpsUI ahead of others?

Thanks,

Imesha

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 at 06:20, Tom Barber <to...@spicule.co.uk> wrote:

Sounds good to me. Should also increase the release cadence as well.

On 5 October 2019 at 09:06:35, Chris Mattmann (mattmann@apache.org) wrote:

Here is my suggested Roadmap here:

2.0 – first release where we remove all the Xml-RPC and we change nothing

else. Avro is the default, and only

comm option – though interface exists for anyone that wants to roll their

own. We change nothing else*

2.1 – first release with newer JDK support (everyone is asking for this,

and it screws up people like me with

new Macs, or computers and newer JDKs by default). We also begin cleaning

up dependencies and removing

old ones, and pointing at new stuff.

2.2 – OpsUi React with Breno’s stuff.

2.3 – We integrate, test and demo the Docker builds. We also test and fully

bake the ZK deployments and

scaled up Docker.

2.4+ … who knows

From: Tom Barber <to...@spicule.co.uk>

Date: Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 3:31 AM

To: <de...@oodt.apache.org>, Imesha Sudasingha <im...@apache.org>

On 5 October 2019 at 11:25:41, Imesha Sudasingha (imesha@apache.org)

wrote:

I think there was a plan to

remove XML rpc support completely and use avro only in 2.0.

That is true. XMLRPC needs to die.

Not sure about Knative, but certainly a Kubernetes operator would be

something interesting to look at if we could.

--

Spicule Limited is registered in England & Wales. Company Number:

09954122. Registered office: First Floor, Telecom House, 125-135 Preston

Road, Brighton, England, BN1 6AF. VAT No. 251478891.

All engagements

are subject to Spicule Terms and Conditions of Business. This email and its

contents are intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed and

may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise

protected from disclosure, distributing or copying. Any views or opinions

necessarily represent those of Spicule Limited. The company accepts no

liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. If

you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by

reply email before deleting it from your system. Service of legal notice

cannot be effected on Spicule Limited by email.

Re: OODT 2.0 planning

Posted by Imesha Sudasingha <im...@apache.org>.
Great. I had a discussion with Gimhana, who was the GSoC 2019 student and
contributed to developing the React based new OpsUI. He will also be able
to help us with this.