Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Twele, Charles G" <ch...@merck.com> on 2001/07/23 20:33:25 UTC

System hangs after 2-3 hours of use

My Tomcat 3.1 application hangs after a while. However, if I restart Tomcat
again all goes well for some time i.e. 2 to 3 hours and then it goes down
again. I am using Apache 1.3.12 and Tomcat 3.1 on Win NT

Anyone encountered this problem with Tomcat?

Re: System hangs after 2-3 hours of use

Posted by Patrick Coskren <pc...@unitedmedia.com>.
On Monday, July 23, 2001, at 02:33 PM, Twele, Charles G wrote:

> My Tomcat 3.1 application hangs after a while. However, if I restart
> Tomcat
> again all goes well for some time i.e. 2 to 3 hours and then it goes
> down
> again. I am using Apache 1.3.12 and Tomcat 3.1 on Win NT
>
> Anyone encountered this problem with Tomcat?

I would take a look at possible resource leaks in your code.  In one
case, I saw this problem when we had a function that was opening file
descriptors each time a servlet was called, but wasn't closing them.  It
wasn't long before we hit the OS limit on open file descriptors, and
whammo.  Given time, the problem would clear up as the file pointers got
garbage collected (closing the files as they went), but that didn't
happen fast enough to avoid the problem.

Database connections could pose a similar problem, depending on what
you're using.

-Patrick

Patrick Coskren              Speaking only for myself...
Senior Web Developer
United Media.  <http://www.comics.com>