Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Bjorn Danielsson <bj...@lists.cuspycode.com> on 2012/06/26 09:46:50 UTC

Anyone have experience with alternative JMS providers?

Does anyone have a recipe for using Apache Qpid or JORAM
with TomEE-plus (i.e. replacing the bundled ActiveMQ)?
The configuration I have in mind is a container-managed
MDB that receives messages from an external broker.

--
Björn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

Re: Anyone have experience with alternative JMS providers?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Not tried the one you speak about but if they provide a resource adapter it
should (or almost) work out of the box

- Romain

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
great!

- Romain

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 27, 2012, at 7:55 AM, Bjorn Danielsson wrote:

> I tried editing again after posting that (I'm a stubborn guy :)
> and now I could edit with login...

Good quality to have :)

That came through perfectly.  Went ahead and committed! Thank you so much!

Two contributions in 24 hours.  Love it.

-David

Posted by Bjorn Danielsson <bd...@cuspycode.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
should be sync soon

Posted by Bjorn Danielsson <bj...@lists.cuspycode.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bjorn Danielsson <bj...@lists.cuspycode.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
did you put it in tomee/lib?

Posted by Bjorn Danielsson <bj...@lists.cuspycode.com>.
Thanks!

Posted by Bjorn Danielsson <bj...@lists.cuspycode.com>.
Update on my attempt to integrate Apache Qpid with TomEE.

I had to abandon the GenericJMSRA approach because the only
Queue implementation class I found in the Qpid client (which
was org.apache.qpid.client.AMQQueue) could not be constructed
by the genericra ObjectBuilderFactory, because the class had
protected members.

But I found that there is a resource adapter for Qpid included
in the source code. I haven't tried it with the bundled-in-EAR
deployment method because I am more interested in seeing if
this can be done in the container.

So I created a service-jar.xml for this Qpid Resource Adapter,
working from David's GenericJMSRA example and the Qpid source
code. One patch was needed for the Qpid Resource Adapter:
it has a property "TransactionManagerLocatorClass" which is
used to find the container's TransactionManager. Different
methods were used for different containers, and I had to add
one for TomEE, which I did by cloning the one for Glassfish
and changing the JNDI name for the TransactionManager.

Then I got stuck. I get a JNDI NameNotFoundException from the
Qpid Activation thingy complaining about my JMS destination
names when my MDBs are created. Probably a Qpid bug.

I don't think I'll spend any more effort on making Qpid work
with TomEE. My original motivation was to try out alternatives
to ActiveMQ for my project, not to make Qpid work at all costs.
I might try with another JMS provider, and in that case I'll
post about it here of course.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.