Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org> on 2021/01/13 08:25:14 UTC

[discussion] rename the recruitment list

Hello all,

I wonder if we can rename the recruitment list to something else. My
theory is that a lot of people do not understand OpenSource in general,
and recruitment is commonly strongly linked with Job offers. So have the
theory people write us with the hope on a job.

Maybe a better name would support a better understanding, on how we work
or what to expect.

Maybe something like enlistAsVolunteer@openoffice.apache.org?

Or simply volunteer@openoffice.apache.org or enlist@openoffice.apache.org

what do you think? I am interested in all opinions, even if you are just
a passive reader or from other projects.

All the Best

Peter

--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

Re: [discussion] rename the recruitment list

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 17.01.21 um 15:41 schrieb Arrigo Marchiori:
> because everyone (else) seems to agree on volunteer@ please note it's
> fine for me. Please do _not_ consider my vote for recruitment@ as a
> veto (in case you were in doubt :-).

I've created a Jira issue for Infra:

Marcus

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Hello Peter, All,

because everyone (else) seems to agree on volunteer@ please note it's
fine for me. Please do _not_ consider my vote for recruitment@ as a
veto (in case you were in doubt :-).

Now to Peter's reply.

> [...]

> >   on Octember 36th, reply to dev@ if interested". He may also dig in
> >   the recruitment@ archives and directly contact people who introduced
> >   themselves in the past, may be fit for the job and may not be
> >   subscribed to the list.
> >
> >   4- J. Doe, F. Bar and the other volunteers carry out the task, using
> >   the dev@ list when necessary. If recruited volunteer B. Etor says "I
> >   would like to do it bi-lingual: English and Klingon" then F. Bar has
> >   the authority to say "no thanks, please let us stick to English".
> >
> > I hope I could explain myself clearly. Please do not see this as
> > hijacking your discussion thread, as I am just trying to fully
> > understand the term "recruitment" and therefore the role of the
> > corresponding mailing list.
> >
> > If this topic has already been discussed in the past (and honestly, I
> > would be suprised if it had not :-) please send me the pointers.

Arrigo

http://rigo.altervista.org

Re: [discussion] rename the recruitment list

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi Arrigo

[...]

All the best

Peter

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Hello Peter,

thank you for having raised this issue. I have some ``deeper''
questions about the philosophy of the project itself, and about its
organization. Please see below.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 09:25:14AM +0100, Peter Kovacs wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I wonder if we can rename the recruitment list to something else. My theory
> is that a lot of people do not understand OpenSource in general, and
> recruitment is commonly strongly linked with Job offers. So have the theory
> people write us with the hope on a job.
>
> Maybe a better name would support a better understanding, on how we work or
> what to expect.
>
> Maybe something like enlistAsVolunteer@openoffice.apache.org?
>
> Or simply volunteer@openoffice.apache.org or enlist@openoffice.apache.org

My quick reply to your answer: IMHO (as a non-native English speaker)
the term "recruitment" is already good enough to describe "enlisting
as volunteering". It's very clear that everyone here is a
volunteer. Moreover, you don't have to be a recruiter to write to
recruitment@, as you do not have to be a developer to write to dev@
(as it is happening for applications to test release candidate 4.1.9)

--- Longer pilosophycal reply starts here ---

This part is about "how we work and what to expect", as you wrote.

From my very short and limited experience, I have seen quite some

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> On Jan 13, 2021, at 1:05 PM, Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> I like volunteer@ - it is a call to action. It is the proper verb

+1

Re: [discussion] rename the recruitment list

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

the original mail was written to recruitment@ and the moderation to
volunteer@. So, both mail addesses were included in the mail reply.

> I kept both addresses and also added the original poster... I hope he
> will not receive my email three times! :-P

At least this is not in our area of influence. ;-)

Marcus

Re: [discussion] rename the recruitment list

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Dear All,

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.

On 1/13/21 1:05 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 13, 2021, at 9:55 AM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 13.01.21 um 09:25 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>> I wonder if we can rename the recruitment list to something else. My theory is that a lot of people do not understand OpenSource in general, and recruitment is commonly strongly linked with Job offers. So have the theory people write us with the hope on a job.
>>> Maybe a better name would support a better understanding, on how we work or what to expect.
>>> Maybe something like enlistAsVolunteer@openoffice.apache.org?
>>> Or simply volunteer@openoffice.apache.org or enlist@openoffice.apache.org
>>> what do you think? I am interested in all opinions, even if you are just a passive reader or from other projects.
>> I've also the impression that the expectation of this mail address is different to the one we have.
>>
>> The best is when the name itself says all.
>>
>> So, what about renaming to "volunteering@" or "IwantToVolunteer@"?
> I like volunteer@ - it is a call to action. It is the proper verb.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

I also like volunteer@
and add the unsubscribe footer ;)

Best regards,
Carl

Re: [discussion] rename the recruitment list

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 1/13/2021 1:05 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 13, 2021, at 9:55 AM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 13.01.21 um 09:25 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>> I wonder if we can rename the recruitment list to something else. My theory is that a lot of people do not understand OpenSource in general, and recruitment is commonly strongly linked with Job offers. So have the theory people write us with the hope on a job.
>>> Maybe a better name would support a better understanding, on how we work or what to expect.
>>> Maybe something like enlistAsVolunteer@openoffice.apache.org?
>>> Or simply volunteer@openoffice.apache.org or enlist@openoffice.apache.org
>>> what do you think? I am interested in all opinions, even if you are just a passive reader or from other projects.
>>
>> I've also the impression that the expectation of this mail address is different to the one we have.
>>
>> The best is when the name itself says all.
>>
>> So, what about renaming to "volunteering@" or "IwantToVolunteer@"?
>
> I like volunteer@ - it is a call to action. It is the proper verb.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

+1 for volunteer@

Keith

Posted by DaveB <bm...@apache.org>.
On 13/01/2021 18:05, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 13, 2021, at 9:55 AM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 13.01.21 um 09:25 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>> I wonder if we can rename the recruitment list to something else. My theory is that a lot of people do not understand OpenSource in general, and recruitment is commonly strongly linked with Job offers. So have the theory people write us with the hope on a job.
>>> Maybe a better name would support a better understanding, on how we work or what to expect.
>>> Maybe something like enlistAsVolunteer@openoffice.apache.org?
>>> Or simply volunteer@openoffice.apache.org or enlist@openoffice.apache.org
>>> what do you think? I am interested in all opinions, even if you are just a passive reader or from other projects.
>>
>> I've also the impression that the expectation of this mail address is different to the one we have.
>>
>> The best is when the name itself says all.
>>
>> So, what about renaming to "volunteering@" or "IwantToVolunteer@"?
>
> I like volunteer@ - it is a call to action. It is the proper verb.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

+1

Posted by Czes��aw Wola��ski <cw...@apache.org>.

On 2021/01/13 18:05:26, Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jan 13, 2021, at 9:55 AM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> >
> > Am 13.01.21 um 09:25 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> >> I wonder if we can rename the recruitment list to something else. My theory is that a lot of people do not understand OpenSource in general, and recruitment is commonly strongly linked with Job offers. So have the theory people write us with the hope on a job.
> >> Maybe a better name would support a better understanding, on how we work or what to expect.
> >> Maybe something like enlistAsVolunteer@openoffice.apache.org?
> >> Or simply volunteer@openoffice.apache.org or enlist@openoffice.apache.org
> >> what do you think? I am interested in all opinions, even if you are just a passive reader or from other projects.
> >
> > I've also the impression that the expectation of this mail address is different to the one we have.
> >
> > The best is when the name itself says all.
> >
> > So, what about renaming to "volunteering@" or "IwantToVolunteer@"?
>
> I like volunteer@ - it is a call to action. It is the proper verb.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

+1 for volunteer@

BTW:
Mailing Lists page - section "Recruitment Mailing List (Public)",

There is a typo: "contributer". Any volunteers?   ;‑)

Regards
Czesław

Re: [discussion] rename the recruitment list

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.