Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Florian Müller <fl...@alfresco.com> on 2010/11/15 14:50:20 UTC

Client API refactoring branch merge

Hi all,

If nobody objects, I will merge the client API refactoring branch into
trunk this Wednesday.
If there are any reasons not to merge, please let me know as soon as
possible!

Cheers,

Florian

Re: Client API refactoring branch merge

Posted by Florian Müller <fl...@alfresco.com>.
reset() discards all changes made to the object.
refreshAndReset() discards all changes and refreshes the underlying
CmisObject.

Not sure if we need them. I thought they might be handy.

- Florian

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
Yet another question:

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
Hi Florian,

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Florian Müller
<fl...@alfresco.com> wrote:
> Well, I actually just completed what was unfinished before. Some interfaces
> were Serializable, some weren't.
> The interfaces don't have to be Serializable, but the implementations, that
> we are shipping have to be in order to support the HTTP session scenario.
> In other words, I don't see a strong reason to keep the interfaces
> Serializable. We could change that.

Ok, glad we're on the same page.

> On the other hand, how do you make sure that a statefull implementation
> behaves exactly like a the default stateless implementations? An application
> that uses the OpenCMIS interface should not have to care which
> implementation it is using underneath.

Agreed. In my case I have a set of unit test that test the same code
with AtomPub, SOAP and my local bindings.

> And, if the statefull implementation behaves like the stateless
> implementation, why is the local binding not sufficient? Are you hitting an
> issue with the local binding ?

The OpenCMIS-provided local bindings are implemented at the SPI level
(as they should) which means use of DocumentImpl, AbstractCmisObject,
ObjectDataImpl & co which have a heavy cost in terms of memory and
copying. By specializing the implementation I can directly reuse my
native objects and avoid a lot of overhead.

Florent

Posted by Florian Müller <fl...@alfresco.com>.
Hi Florent,

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.

Posted by Florian Müller <fl...@alfresco.com>.

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
Another question:

Posted by Florian Müller <fl...@alfresco.com>.
Hi Florent,

Actually, the contract and the JavaDoc are not the same for all methods.
Take getName() as an example. For CmisObject it returns the name of the
object as it was loaded. For TransientObject it returns the current
state of the name property in the transient object. If you have changed
the name and haven't saved the object yet, it doesn't return the name
that was loaded.

I have no strong opinion on the adapter design. Accepting an arbitrary
interface doesn't feel right to me, but if you have a use case, we can
change that.

- Florian

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
Hi Florian,

Posted by Florian Müller <fl...@alfresco.com>.
Hi Florent,

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Florian Müller <fl...@alfresco.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
Hi,

I should be fixing the rendition bug tonight or tomorrow, so a merge
on Wednesday is fine for me.

Florent