Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2019/10/06 19:32:37 UTC

Introduction

I am interested in becoming a contributor to the JAMES server.  I have
been a user of JAMES in my hosting environment since around 2003.  I
also own a software solutions development company (primarily
java/tomcat).  I am retired from IBM as a senior software architect for
the Websphere family of products.  The last several years of my career
was spent as the last line of defense for solving major corporate issues
with our products.  I was usually called in a few days before a company
was going to throw out a huge contract.  So I got used to trying to
find/fix a problem while a CEO is looking over my shoulder saying,
"Well??". As a result of those experiences, 'serviceability' and logging
has been near and dear to my heart.  In the past years with JAMES, I've
added several logging and debugging enhancements that have helped me
more quickly isolate issues with mail processing in my hosting
environment.  I'm in the process of cleaning a few of those up, and will
do my first attempt at a some pull requests.  I have experience with
software management repositories and code modification & integration
policies in a large distributed development environment.  However I know
processes vary from product to product.  So I'd like to learn more about
the JAMES process.  I learned very quickly at IBM that if you checked
something in and broke the build, that was grounds for being shot at
sunrise... So I want to learn the right way to do things.

I've also been talking to Matthieu Baechler offline about assisting in
development and testing of the new S3 blob storage component.  I am
currently moving my JAMES environment to AWS, and S3 blob storage is
going to help me tremendously in maintaining my environment.  I'm going
to post the entire email chain from my conversation with Matthieu in a
separate post.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself.  Help me along initially with
the process, and bear with me if I make a few mistakes at first.  I'm
looking forward to contributing.

Jerry

Re: Introduction

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the move, that's really nice to have you on board!

We don't "shoot" people at sunrise :-)

As a contributor, you can propose some github pull request (that we
prefer to JIRA attached patches). The people endorsing the
responsibility is the 'committer' merging your patch into the James
sources code. Very likely he will do so once all unit-integration tests
passes.

That being said we try to enforce software quality and other
contributors / committers might ask you to refine your work (add test,
adopt a more readable code style, better split responsibilities, etc...).

Another point is discussing architecture and describing your development
effort on this mailing list first. This might help avoiding bad
surprises upon Github pull requests at the price of only a short
discussion here.

Best regards,

Benoit