Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/08 19:52:34 UTC

[general] Google Summer of Code 2007 coming

Guys,

[seriously] how about a list of projects for $subj at Harmony? [1]

Mentoring organization application deadline is March 12 ([2]), so we
need to somewhat hurry up to make this happen.

We have a good list of TODO items for DRLVM & JIT on [3], needs some
minor selection and refinement. My view is:

* implement a certain part of API (ideas welcome)
* enable parallel builds in the build system
* Jitrino.OPT translator refactoring (I can be mentoring this one)
* proper handling of OOME (yes we still have issues)
* other big bugs

..can be many other things like .. "loop peeling optimization", "large
heaps on x86_64", ..

P.S. feeling sorry for documentation items, pure documentation works
are not allowed within the program.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Geir, need to go with ASF or as a separate project?

[1] http://code.google.com/soc/
[2] http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60325&topic=10729
[3] http://harmony.apache.org/roadmap.html#DRLVM

--
Egor Pasko

Re: [general] Google Summer of Code 2007 coming

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Mar 8, 2007, at 1:52 PM, Egor Pasko wrote:

> Geir, need to go with ASF or as a separate project?

We go as ASF, of course.

Get the details listed on :

  http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2007

Also, read this :

http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforMentors

geir

Re: [general] Google Summer of Code 2007 coming

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x297 day of Apache Harmony Pavel Ozhdikhin wrote:
> Egor,
>
> I've added 2 more JIT tasks to the Wiki page:
>
> * Implement Exception to branch translation in Jitrino.OPT optimizing JIT
> compiler
> * Implement bytecode-based edge profile and value profile instrumentation in
> the Jitrino.JET JIT compiler

Pavel, thanks a lot!

Geir, could you, please, as a true-harmony-man, send the submission today?

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.
Egor,

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x294 day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2007, at 7:05 PM, Naveen Neelakantam wrote:
>

> > On Mar 8, 2007, at 12:52 PM, Egor Pasko wrote:
> >
> >> Guys,
> >>
> >> [seriously] how about a list of projects for $subj at Harmony? [1]
> >>

> >> Mentoring organization application deadline is March 12 ([2]), so we
> >> need to somewhat hurry up to make this happen.
> >>
> >> We have a good list of TODO items for DRLVM & JIT on [3], needs some
> >> minor selection and refinement. My view is:
> >>
> >> * implement a certain part of API (ideas welcome)
> >> * enable parallel builds in the build system
> >> * Jitrino.OPT translator refactoring (I can be mentoring this one)
> >> * proper handling of OOME (yes we still have issues)
> >> * other big bugs
> >>
> >> ..can be many other things like .. "loop peeling optimization",
> >> "large
> >> heaps on x86_64", ..
> >>
> >> P.S. feeling sorry for documentation items, pure documentation works
> >> are not allowed within the program.
> >>
> >> Ideas? Suggestions?
> >
> > How about partial redundancy elimination (pre)?  It would
> > complement hvn nicely.
>
> Throw up a wiki to collect this so we have it in one place.

done:

http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Summer_Of_Code_2007_Projects_Proposal

Guys, please, add your proposals ASAP. Please, also express your
ability for mentoring ASAP. March 12 is the submission deadline.
(inclusive or not?)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Naveen Neelakantam <ne...@uiuc.edu>.
I'd do it, but I'm currently a student myself.  :-)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
What couldn't you do?

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Naveen Neelakantam <ne...@uiuc.edu>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x297 day of Apache Harmony Peter Novodvorsky wrote:
> On 09 Mar 2007 20:48:48 +0300, Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On the 0x294 day of Apache Harmony Naveen Neelakantam wrote:
> > > On Mar 8, 2007, at 12:52 PM, Egor Pasko wrote:
> > >
> > nice idea! I also added 'subroutine verification in Verifier'
> >
> > Geir, are there any news on the submission process?
>
> As far as I know Alexei Fedotov is already working on subroutine
> verification, won't it be a fake project (perhaps he will finish with
> it before summer)?

OK, removed the item.

Posted by Peter Novodvorsky <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.