Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by ka...@gmx.de on 2012/07/09 13:57:34 UTC

Trust in new flexible StandardQueryParser?

Hi folks,

we really like the flexible QueryParser. We already used it for a Verity-Syntax Parser and it worked well.
But now we want to use the Standard-Lucene-Syntax with some additions.
Can we trust in  StandardQueryParser or should(must) we use the classic QueryParser?

For project safety we don't want to switch to solr 4.x this year. So we need a working StandardQueryParser in Version 3.X.
We already opened issue LUCENE-4109 and hoped that this will also be fixed in 3.6.1 (like LUCENE-2566). But this is not the only problem with  StandardQueryParser:

First I do not understand why StandardSyntaxParser.jj is not the same in 3.6branch and 4.0trunk.
Does this mean, that 3X will not be supported any more for StandardQueryParser?

Second I switched QueryParserTestBase in trunk from classic.QueryParser to flexible.standard.StandardQueryParser and saw some failed tests.
Does this mean that StandardQueryParser should not do the same as  classic.QueryParser?

So again: Should we trust in StandardQueryParser?
I would like to support the bugfixing :-)

Best regards
  Karsten

P.S. Failures in QueryParserTestBase if using StandardQueryParser:
  * assertQueryEquals("[\\* TO \"*\"]",null,"[\\* TO \\*]");
    → result is "[\\* TO *]" instead
  * assertQueryEquals("a:b\\-?c", a, "a:b\\-?c");
    → result is "a:b-?c" instead
  * assertQueryEquals("a - b", a, "a – b");
    → result is "a -b" instead