Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/04 21:27:07 UTC

[VOTE] Release apache-manifoldcf-0.4-incubating, RC2

Hello Incubator IPMC,

Please vote on whether or not to release ManifoldCF 0.4-incubating,
RC2.  This RC has passed our podling vote and awaits your inspection.
You can find the artifact at
http://people.apache.org/~kwright/apache-manifoldcf-0.4-incubating, or
in svn at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lcf/tags/release-0.4-incubating-RC2.
 Thanks in advance!

Karl

Re: PPMC to IPMC

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My opinion: It's one thing to try to involve yourself in the fortunes
> of one or two projects in addition to your own, and be willing to
> provide general opinions, and be willing to contribute content to the
> incubator's policy pages.  But the incubator is so huge these days and
> so diverse that just keeping track of the current issues could become
> a major timesink.  And there's no obvious mechanism for drawing a
> line, limiting contributions to bite-sized pieces, and keeping
> involvement to a manageable level.  Although, I haven't checked out
> JIRA for the incubator; maybe that's a good place to start?

Well, there's good news and bad news here. Most concretely, the most
specific 'whole incubator' issue these days is recruiting more members
of the IPMC who are willing to help with overall supervision, and in
particular with reading podling monthly reports before they get
forwarded to the board.

Gall(e)ons of electronic ink are then being spilled about general
principles related to the incubator's governance, including how to
find a balance between overwhelming each other with email and yet how
to talk through a set of hard questions to the point where we find
some consensus.

I would go so far as to invite you as to have an itchy trigger finger
on the delete key in your email reader if you don't have the time to
dive into the philosophical and policy discussions but are stil
willing to supervise one or more podlings and maybe even read more
reports.

Re: PPMC to IPMC

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: PPMC to IPMC

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: PPMC to IPMC

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:41:32PM -0800, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Taking a larger interest beyond a podling is nice but not required for IPMC
> membership.

+1, not a requirement.

> We certainly don't expect members to do anything like that, so why should we
> expect it of non-members?

Let's separate Incubator policy from my advice to Karl and other potential
IPMC aspirants.

Regarding Incubator policy, it may be useful to do something as liberal as
placing PPMC members on the IPMC as soon as we think they can be trusted with
a binding vote for their own podling releases.  That will also give them a
binding vote on other IPMC issues, but will it cause problems?  I dunno.
We've talked about shrinking the IPMC to a core of people who really know and
care about the Incubator, and this goes the opposite direction -- but it does
solve some difficult problems without compromising the ASF's legal chain of
authority over releases.

For individuals who want to be on the IPMC, you will probably get noticed
faster if you contribute to the Incubator as an instititution -- and even
better, you will gain valuable experience regarding community, legal policies
and how the ASF works which will help your podling succeed over the long haul.
So I think it is in the interest of potential candidates to get involved, even
if the IPMC states that it's not a requirement.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: PPMC to IPMC

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Taking a larger interest beyond a podling is
nice but not required for IPMC membership.  We

PPMC to IPMC

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release apache-manifoldcf-0.4-incubating, RC2

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
I was the RM for each release.
Karl

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Having been through 5 incubator releases, I can tell you that having sufficient IPMC members on the project to review the release and cast binding votes makes the process much smoother.  However, 2 out of the 5 have required at least one additional vote from an IPMC member on the general list, which requires someone unfamiliar with the project to invest the time to thoroughly review the release.  IMO it is important to have enough mentors/IPMC members to be able to release, but that is only a partial solution.  The general list still needs to have IPMC members willing to take on the sometimes daunting task of digging through an unfamiliar project to properly review the release.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
The battle to allow this for podlings I work on
was fought and won several months ago.  It's certainly
time to expand that "experiment" to the rest
of our podlings.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for at least having a look at this!

Even if you find the main release to be too big to look at, the three
ManifoldCF plugins, which have separate release packages (and vote
threads) are quite small with extremely limited dependencies.  Maybe
those would be easier to digest? ;-)

Karl

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Jukka.

Waiting for the last IPMC vote has become the longest and most
uncertain part of the ManifoldCF release process.  Considering the
amount of effort and good work that the committers put into each
release, it's surely not too much to ask for someone here to have a
look at it?  (We apologize; we really hate to bother you all, but
those ARE the rules...)

Respectfully,
Karl

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[RESULT][VOTE] Release apache-manifoldcf-0.4-incubating, RC2

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Three binding +1's, >72 hours, vote passes.

Karl

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me (binding).

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1

Fwd: [VOTE] Release apache-manifoldcf-0.4-incubating, RC2

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
I think Jukka meant to post this to general@i.a.o...
Karl