Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/12/17 17:48:25 UTC

[HttpComponents] The new site is up

Folks

I made necessary minimal changes to the existing (dog ugly) web site and
deployed it on our shiny new domain:

http://hc.apache.org/

Please take an especially close look at the project charter, which I
hacked together based on the previous one and the TLP resolution. Most
likely it will need more editing:

http://hc.apache.org/charter.html

The download pages still point at the old dist directory under Jakarta.
As soon as we agree on the publishing framework for the site and I can
put together a new download section, migrate the dist directory and
remove the last remaining references to Jakarta.

If there are no _major_ issues with the new site, I would like to go
ahead and delete the old site, which still points at the old SVN
location, set up a redirect to the new site and then immediately remove
old SVN content.

When that is done, we can take our time to deal with minor issues.

Does this sound all right?

Oleg

Re: [HttpComponents] The new site is up

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17/12/2007, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> Folks
>
> I made necessary minimal changes to the existing (dog ugly) web site and
> deployed it on our shiny new domain:
>
> http://hc.apache.org/
>
> Please take an especially close look at the project charter, which I
> hacked together based on the previous one and the TLP resolution. Most
> likely it will need more editing:
>
> http://hc.apache.org/charter.html
>
> The download pages still point at the old dist directory under Jakarta.
> As soon as we agree on the publishing framework for the site and I can
> put together a new download section, migrate the dist directory and
> remove the last remaining references to Jakarta.

May need to be a bit careful with the archive site links to ensure
that it's still possible to find older releases without too much
hassle.

At present archives are to be found in both:

http://archive.apache.org/dist/jakarta/httpcomponents/commons-httpclient-3.x/
and
http://archive.apache.org/dist/commons/httpclient/

There will soon be another archive directory tree...

I'm not sure what the policies are for moving/renaming archives when
projects move; I guess we need to find out at some point.

In the meantime, we could just add another archive link.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17/12/2007, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> Roland Weber wrote:
> > The new dist directory is already up, I took care of that
> > yesterday: http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/
> > Unfortunately, I had a change of mind regarding the name
> > of the subdirectory for 3.1. Now we have two of them, it
> > seems that the sync of dist with the archives works both
> > ways.
>
> Nonsense. I fell for the staging mechanism again. The
> subdirectory with the changed name commons-httpclient
> is already synced as an update, the deletion of the
> previous name httpclient-3.x will be synced later.
> The archives will also be synced later.

Not sure that the archives synch takes note of deleted directories.
It certainly does not honour file deletions (otherwise it would not be
a very effective archive ;-)

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Sebastian,

> AFAIK, there's no access to the archives structure, except presumably
> for infra folks.

Luckily, I didn't ask ;-) I found the archives directories at
/www/archive.apache.org/dist/, permissions are set identically
to those in the regular dist/ tree. I deleted the directory
with the wrong name there yestereve and it synced over night.
At least four of us have permissions for Jakarta and Commons,
so we should be able to sort that out by ourselves.

> It also looks as though the archives have standard HEADER files
> already; it's not clear if these can be changed.

Yes, the headers are not synced. We can put in readmes instead.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpComponents] The new site is up

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17/12/2007, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> great job, just one issue: the links to the ASF "sponsoring"
> and "thanks" pages that I added to the 3.1 site are mandatory
> for all projects. Maybe you can just copy that section in the
> navigation over to the Maven2 sites?
>
> The new dist directory is already up, I took care of that
> yesterday: http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/
> Unfortunately, I had a change of mind regarding the name
> of the subdirectory for 3.1. Now we have two of them, it
> seems that the sync of dist with the archives works both
> ways. My first idea was httpclient-3.x, but when I looked
> at it later, I felt that people would have a hard time
> distinguishing between httpclient-3.x and httpclient, so
> I changed the name back to commons-httpclient.
>
> Sebastian, the Jakarta Commons HttpClient logo on the old
> page was my doing. More specifically, the not removing it.
> It's an established logo, though we're neither Commons nor
> Jakarta anymore. That's why the 3.1 page has a "history"
> section explaining all the moves:
>        http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/index.html
> I don't think it makes much sense to try and rebrand the
> old codebase. Too many people have seen and used it as
> Commons HttpClient, that name is in the artifact ID, in
> the names of the downloadable packages, and even used in
> our new pages - including the charter Oleg drafted. And
> the commons part is also in the package names. Having the
> HttpClient logo next to the HttpComponents logo rather
> than the Jakarta logo should make the association plain
> enough.

OK.

> Regarding the archives, we could copy the old releases
> from the various archive locations over to the new one.
> Then either leave the old ones where they are, or put
> HEADER.html files there with pointers to the new location.

AFAIK, there's no access to the archives structure, except presumably
for infra folks.

Files are automatically copied there from the dist tree - I think
that's the only way for non-privileged logins to add files to the
archives.

It also looks as though the archives have standard HEADER files
already; it's not clear if these can be changed.

> http://archive.apache.org/dist/commons/httpclient/
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/jakarta/httpcomponents/commons-httpclient-3.x/
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/
>  (was supposed to be subdirectory commons-httpclient,
>   but is subdirectory httpclient-3.x for now)

Once the release dist tree is sorted, I think we may need to get infra
involved to sort out the archives.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18/12/2007, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/12/2007, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> > Hi Sebastian,
> >
> > > Just been looking at the references to httpcomponent on the jakarta site.
> > >
> > > The obvious ones to fix are the front page, lhs menu and mailing-list pages.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > > I can fix those shortly unless anyone objects?
> >
> > Go ahead. The .htaccess file is also generated with the site,
> > so you can fix that in one go.
>
> Done in SVN. Will update website shortly.

Now done.

Unfortunately one cannot check links to hc.apache.org using the proxy trick.
I'll add a JIRA for that.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Sebastian,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 07:20 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > I added mandatory links to ASF wide resources using similar layout as
> > that of the HttpClient 3.x legacy site.
>
> I can see the links on the "project" part of the site only when I
> open the "Project Information" folder, maybe the site was regenerated
> incompletely? I don't see the links at all in the pages for the core
> and client components.
>
> > I also think we can take a few more days to migrate the download and
> > archive pages. But I would like to delete the old SVN content at
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/ and the old web
> > site at http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/ pretty much asap in
> > order to avoid confusion.
>
> The links are my only concern. When these are fixed, go ahead and
> redirect the old page.

Should be fixed now.

>  For SVN, I've deleted the contents of oac.hc3x
> and Norbert, but left the directories there. I put in readmes that
> tell about the new locations. I suggest to do the same for httpcore
> and httpclient. The project and project-trunk directories seem less
> important, I don't have a problem with deleting them altogether.

Makes sense.

> > So, If I hear no complaints I'll proceed with deletion of old SVN and
> > web site content tomorrow around 13:00 GMT.
>
> OK, thanks for taking care of that.

My pleasure.

Cheers

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

> I added mandatory links to ASF wide resources using similar layout as
> that of the HttpClient 3.x legacy site.

I can see the links on the "project" part of the site only when I
open the "Project Information" folder, maybe the site was regenerated
incompletely? I don't see the links at all in the pages for the core
and client components.

> I also think we can take a few more days to migrate the download and
> archive pages. But I would like to delete the old SVN content at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/ and the old web
> site at http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/ pretty much asap in
> order to avoid confusion.

The links are my only concern. When these are fixed, go ahead and
redirect the old page. For SVN, I've deleted the contents of oac.hc3x

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17/12/2007, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 20:59 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> > Hi Oleg,
> >
> > great job, just one issue: the links to the ASF "sponsoring"
> > and "thanks" pages that I added to the 3.1 site are mandatory
> > for all projects. Maybe you can just copy that section in the
> > navigation over to the Maven2 sites?
>
> Roland, Sebastian
>
> I added mandatory links to ASF wide resources using similar layout as
> that of the HttpClient 3.x legacy site.
>
> I also think we can take a few more days to migrate the download and
> archive pages. But I would like to delete the old SVN content at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/ and the old web
> site at http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/ pretty much asap in
> order to avoid confusion.
>
> So, If I hear no complaints I'll proceed with deletion of old SVN and
> web site content tomorrow around 13:00 GMT.

OK by me.

BTW, it looks like the proxy trick which allows one to view the files
on people.apache.org using  140.211.11.10 as the proxy does not seem
to work for hc.apache.org. Which is a pity.

Also, the httpcore directories have an interesting (!) icon on dist
and archives; I'll follow this up because I reported it (and it was
fixed a while ago) for people.apache.org.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
In 17/12/2007, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 18:05 +0100, Ortwin Glück wrote:
> >
> > Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > > Folks
> > >
> > > I made necessary minimal changes to the existing (dog ugly) web site and
> > > deployed it on our shiny new domain:
> > >
> > > http://hc.apache.org/
> >
> > http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-core/httpcore/index.html
> > http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-core/httpcore-nio/index.html
> >
> > still have the Jakarta logo. Should be the ASF Logo.
> >
> > Odi
> >

> Fixed. Thanks

Minor niggle - Commons HttpClient has a logo that says:

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 18:05 +0100, Ortwin Glück wrote:

> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > Folks
> >
> > I made necessary minimal changes to the existing (dog ugly) web site and
> > deployed it on our shiny new domain:
> >
> > http://hc.apache.org/
>
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-core/httpcore/index.html
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-core/httpcore-nio/index.html
>
> still have the Jakarta logo. Should be the ASF Logo.
>
> Odi

Fixed. Thanks

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/

Re: [HttpComponents] The new site is up

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 11:55 -0500, Sam Berlin wrote:
> One bad link (which I think was also wrong on the old site) is the
> link on the word 'base' on the page at:
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-core/httpcore-nio/index.html .
> Definitely just a minor issue.

Fixed. Thanks.