Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Mehrle <mi...@datasaur.com> on 2005/03/26 17:36:21 UTC

5.5.x JDBCRealm problem - wasn't this fixed?

I just switched from 5.0.28 to 5.5.8 on my Fedora server. The app works fine but after some inactivity of approx 7 hours I try to log in and get the following error:

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
[tdx] WARN [http-8080-Processor23] JDBCRealm.getPassword(555) | Exception retrieving password for "molecool"

If I recycle tomcat it works fine and as long as I keep hitting the server I don't get this problem. However, if I am gone for a few hours and come back I encounter this problem. Now, I did some digging online and others have encountered this as well. But I was under the impression that this bug was fixed and that 5.5.8 wasn't leaking connections anymore. Just for sh...ts and giggles I tried 5.5.7 and it's got the same problem.

Here's my cofiguration:

<Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="99" reloadable="true"
    antiJARLocking="true" antiResourceLocking="true">

    <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
          driverName="@DB-DRIVERNAME@"
       connectionURL="@DB-URL@"
      connectionName="@DB-USERNAME@" connectionPassword="@DB-PASSWORD@"
           userTable="app_user" userNameCol="username" userCredCol="password"
       userRoleTable="user_role" roleNameCol="role_name" />

    <Resource name="jdbc/tdx" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
              maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
              driverClassName="@DB-DRIVERNAME@"
              username="@DB-USERNAME@" password="@DB-PASSWORD@"
              url="@DB-URL@"
              defaultAutoCommit="true" removeAbandoned="true"
              removeAbandonedTimeout="60" logAbandoned="true"/>
</Context>

I would really appreciate some help here. There appears to be some jakarta-****.jar file that fixes this, but I was unable to dig it up. I also tried to get tomcat out of cvs, but the build process seems to be more than I can handle at this point (missing references).

This site needs to be up and running by Tuesday - ANY pointers would be very welcome ;-)

Michael

Re: 5.5.x JDBCRealm problem - wasn't this fixed?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:28:24 -0800, Michael Mehrle <mi...@datasaur.com> wrote:
> Fixed indeed - I was up late yesterday and jumped on that 5.5.9 release like
> it was manna from heaven (best analogy I could think of - I'm not
> religious). Logged in this morning after a night of inactivity and
> everything seems to be working :-)

Good.

> Thanks for taking care of this, guys - please forward my regards to the
> person who fixed this. I also must point out that everything seems to be a
> bit snappier now - have there been any performance increases? I'm running an
> image gallery all through tomcat, so it's hosting *everything* - looks a lot
> faster than before. Good job.

There were no performance improvements since 5.5.4, so Ithere should
not be any difference with the new build.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: 5.5.x JDBCRealm problem - wasn't this fixed?

> Sorry for reposting this, but I'm really desperate - anyone??

In 5.5.9 (see the changelog). We recommend using the data source
realm, BTW, which does everything much better.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.