Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Bailey <ch...@codeintensity.com> on 2002/06/19 18:32:30 UTC

Re: strange shut down problem

You could also pipe this through "xargs kill" :)  I found this in the
archives, as I'm having the same problem.  It seems problematic to have to
do this.  Secondarily, there was another follow-up to the below thread that
said someone upgraded to JDK 1.3.1 and their problems went away.  I'm using
1.4.0 and I still see this.  I too am on Red Hat, but 7.2, and using Tomcat
4.0.3.

Has anyone seen this occurring on 4.0.4?  I haven't seen RPM's for 4.0.4
yet, so I haven't tried.

Posted by Mark O'Driscoll <ma...@eircom.net>.
I had this problem.

Here's the response which is correct

Howdy,
This has been discussed a bunch of times ;)  Post 4.0.1, tomcat doesn't
do a System.exit() call when shutting down.  Accordingly, if you have
created non-daemon threads, the JVM will not stop them.  If you create
such threads in your apps, it is your responsibility to stop them
properly in the destroy() methods, context destroy event (you need a
context or lifecycle listener) for this, etc.

Alternatively, you can do stuff like recording the process ID when
tomcat is started, and then killing it as part of shutdown.  There are
threads (recently) on this list about this.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics