Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/03 16:33:01 UTC

Pre-emptive authorization

Hi Oleg et al,

One ManifoldCF user has an unusual requirement for basic auth that requires
the auth header to be sent pre-emptively, not as a consequence of receiving
a 401 response.  He proposes the following patch for ManifoldCF, but I
wonder whether there's a better way to do this with existing
HttpComponents/HttpClient code.

Here's the patch link:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12953640/CONNECTORS-1564.patch

Any thoughts?

Karl

Re: Pre-emptive authorization

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2019-01-03 um 22:10 schrieb Karl Wright:
> Well, I don't actually see anything wrong with the idea of sending the auth
> header right up front and not requiring a whole extra back-and-forth to
> authorize.  NTLM needs that but basic auth doesn't in theory.  What is
> wrong with what they are doing?  Do you have a spec I can present to them?

I state that no auth mech requires that because the first request with
Expect: 100-continue is so small that is shall work.

Did you actually try that with NTLM? But it violates RFC 7235 anyway.

RFC 7235, chapter 2.1 says

>    A user agent that wishes to authenticate itself with an origin server
>    -- usually, but not necessarily, after receiving a 401 (Unauthorized)
>    -- can do so by including an Authorization header field with the
>    request.

So, I guess it is fine doing so, but not by default. You aren't showing
your ID to people unless you have been asked for, right?

Michael

Re: Pre-emptive authorization

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2019-01-03 at 11:33 -0500, Karl Wright wrote:
> Hi Oleg et al,
>
> One ManifoldCF user has an unusual requirement for basic auth that
> requires
> the auth header to be sent pre-emptively, not as a consequence of
> receiving
> a 401 response.  He proposes the following patch for ManifoldCF, but
> wonder whether there's a better way to do this with existing
> HttpComponents/HttpClient code.
>
> Here's the patch link:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12953640/CONNECTORS-1564.patch

> Any thoughts?
>
> Karl

Hi Karl

Could you please ask the contributor if he has considered using
AuthCache to implement preemptive BASIC authentication as described
here?

http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-4.5.x/httpclient/examples/org/apache/http/examples/client/ClientPreemptiveBasicAuthentication.java

Oleg