Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by we...@viitindia.org on 2001/12/14 09:59:43 UTC

Query: Reloadable

What shall I do if I have to make my Tomcat 4.1 autoreloadable. i.e. it should reload the app whenever there is change in .class files. This is a development server not a production server. Around 50 apps r there and I don't want to use manager app.

Thanks in Advance

Shekhar

Re: Query: Reloadable

Posted by Shekhar <we...@viitindia.org>.
Thanks Craig
I tried with ur solution but it didn't work.
I copied examples dir as test in webapps folder. and added following to
server.xml.
<Context path="/test" docBase="test" reloadable="true" debug="0">
<Loader checkInterval="2"/>
</Context>
Let me give u more details of this. I have tomcat4. My installation is
default. Only I copied webapps/examples directory by other names in webapps
folder so now all the folders r visible thr browser. I also tried adding
this to server.xml
<DefaultContext reloadable="true" debug="0">
</DefaultContext>
but still servlets are not autoreloadable.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Shekhar

Re: Query: Reloadable

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 webmaster@viitindia.org wrote:

> Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:29:43 +0530
> From: webmaster@viitindia.org
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Query: Reloadable
>
> What shall I do if I have to make my Tomcat 4.1 autoreloadable. i.e.
> it should reload the app whenever there is change in .class files.
> This is a development server not a production server. Around 50 apps r
> there and I don't want to use manager app.

Put a <Context> element in your server.xml file, with reloadable="true"
inside.  Note that this only works on classes loaded from /WEB-INF/classes
or /WEB-INF/lib.

You might also want to shorten the timeout at which Tomcat checks for
updated classes (default is 15 seconds):

  <Context path="..." docBase="..." reloadable="true">
    <Loader checkInterval="5"/>
  </Context>

For more info on server.xml configuration settings, see the Server
Configuration Reference in the docs shipped with Tomcat, or available
online at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/

> Thanks in Advance
>
> Shekhar